Edit/Clarification: Build Soldano Hot Rod 50ish Circuit from Super Reverb Power Section?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

JoeTele

Edit/Clarification: Build Soldano Hot Rod 50ish Circuit from Super Reverb Power Section?

Post by JoeTele »

At this point I've got 2 tweed and 2 blackface builds under my belt and am pretty comfortable working in that world. I'd like to build a more modern, high gain circuit but without getting too far from the relative simplicity of those early circuits. Based on some initial research, I'm thinking maybe a Soldano-inspired build would be the way to go. As it happens I have an orphaned Princeton Reverb chassis/head which housed my normal-channel only Super Reverb before I moved that to a combo. The head/chassis still has the whole SR power section minus the tubes and transformers. I'm looking at the attached schematic, which (supposedly) is for the Hot Rod 50/SL 60. Though it doesn't list voltages, I read on some forum that there should be about 480 on the 6L6 plates, which from my experience wouldn't be far off from what an SR PT would put out with SS rectification, and a slight reduction might be beneficial tone-wise. Would the SR PT/OT work for this? Assuming it would, any reason not to just start with the stock SR power section/phase inverter/Soldano preamp and see how that works before converting the power filtering, PI, etc to Soldano values?

Thanks as always!

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
roberto

Re: Edit/Clarification: Build Soldano Hot Rod 50ish Circuit from Super Reverb Power Section?

Post by roberto »

Yes, 460 V would be a good starting point.
If you can post both schematic, and the missing data (PT and OT specs plus schematics) I can help you with this building.
JoeTele

Re: Edit/Clarification: Build Soldano Hot Rod 50ish Circuit from Super Reverb Power Section?

Post by JoeTele »

Thanks Roberto! I think for now, knowing the voltage is solid, I'm just going to roll the dice on a Soldano pre-amp meets Super Reverb power section/PI and see how that works, hoping the power supply differences between the Soldano and the Super will only change the flavor a bit and not make the project a dud. The Soldano has SS rectification, about 2x the input filter capacitance of the Super, and 2.2k grid resistors on the 6L6s as opposed to the Super's 1.5k. I'll probably go to SS rectification right at the outset, and only up the filtering if I think the tone will benefit from it. This way I know the Super PT/OT will be ok.

Thanks again!

Joe
roberto

Post by roberto »

I'd add a presence to the power amp, because that's the way the preamp has been foreseen, and you could stiffen the first filter.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

The Resonance/Depth pot is one of the most important features I like in any high gain amp, love the low end.
roberto

Post by roberto »

With the modded SLO I completely agree (where you remove lows on the preamp to add clarity and definition to the notes).
Stock SLO has alot of low end, specially if you couple the PA with 100nF caps.

You could do a "passive" depth:
I've done it one one amp by adding a bis coupling cap in parallel to a small one through a stereo pot.
Take the tone pot of the songwriter as reference.
JoeTele

Post by JoeTele »

Thanks for the tips! Will definitely look into the depth mod.