BUILDING AN AMP CAGE?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

zozoe

BUILDING AN AMP CAGE?

Post by zozoe »

Hi all,,, I have this great little Bogen amp chassis that needs a cage cover, about 4" high, 7" deep & 11" long. I saw the perfect metal at Home Depot, but don't know how to quite pull it off. I tried looking for YT tutorials, but all you find is Farady & bird cages. Please check my photos for 2 different cage styles on my exact amp. I'm sure I wouldn't need a degree in Origami, but any tips? I'm not looking to do the exact replacement, just a rectangular cover that would be open air on all 5 sides.
Thanks all & stay well!!
Screenshot_20200821-194648_Reverb.jpg
20200821_194236.jpg
Screenshot_20200821-194729_Reverb.jpg
20200821_194216.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thetragichero

Re: BUILDING AN AMP CAGE?

Post by thetragichero »

wood's a lot easier to work with than metal

all of those are organ chassis (similar to your bogen) with cabinets built around their dimensions
I'd suggest home depot's "sandeply" because it's decent to work with. I've used dimensional pine but they're never straight. if you figure out your besides ahead of time they'll even cut it for you (especially useful because 4x8 sheet goods are a bear to get through a table saw). decent brad point bit or two, hardwood dowels that fit the holes made by em, some titebond, and a whole load of clamps and Bob's your uncle
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Metal's a lot easier to work with than wood... :lol:

... with the dedicated equipment... :wink:

You would avoid a lot a trouble bending corners and welding thin holed metal sheets making only 3 sides in metal, like that

which can be achieved with only basic tools.

There are of course many other options but as long as I can imagine, they would require advanced metalworking equipment.

At least that's how I would do it. NB: bending grill is easy and so I wouldn't rely on the sole grill to bolt the handle to... :!:

I would also cover the edge of the grill with an aluminium strip covering the wood sides too. That would be both cleaner and safer.

NB If you don't know where to start, you may want to see Ron Covell's video

about bending sheet metals. The main trick is how to make the bolted axle fixtures he uses - which isn't shown... :mrgreen:

... but the video gives some clues at how to hold the sheet metal in place in order to achieve a fairly decent result, anyway.
thetragichero

Post by thetragichero »

if you go the metal route WEAR GLOVES
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

The leather ones!

... &/or deburr.

Splinters are not better IMHO, but I must admit that in am pretty much biased, as a metalworker... :wink:
thetragichero

Post by thetragichero »

i wish i had all the tools for metal working. welding my own chassis would be convenient as hell. my dad was a woodshop teacher so we always had the woodworking stuff growing up and that's what i have now (most of that doubles as tools for doing flooring, trim, etc). I'm very much amateur at the finer stuff

but yeah i don't wear gloves as much as i should so i constantly have cuts and gashes from working on chassis (working in bare feet certainly doesn't help but i hate shoes lol)
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

make it with wood and line it with adhesive and metal foil for shielding?
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
thetragichero

Post by thetragichero »

if your chassis didn't come with a sheet metal shield you can get em at a hardware store. drill holes that line up with the holes in the chassis for mounting screws
or used foil tape
RWood

Post by RWood »

Not really a true cage but close. Really simple...and cheap
JCM800.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by RWood on Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it don't get hot and glow, I don't want it !
RWood

Post by RWood »

Also keep your eyes open at swap meets for ham radio cages!
If it don't get hot and glow, I don't want it !