Choke placement in early Tweed circuits

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Roe

Re: Choke placement in early Tweed circuits

Post by Roe »

Smokebreak wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:01 am
Roe wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:43 am Hammond got some nice big chokes. A CLC or Pi filter sounds and feels different from the standard power supplies with high filtering

This is what I'm after, right here. In what way would you say? better yet, would you say CLC sounds different that a standard supply with "normal" filtering? Something that I guess goes without saying (but hasn't really been brought up) is that increasing the filtering will change the feel of the amp, something I don't want to go too far with, in a Tweed amp.
However I started with 22uf across the board in this amp
The feel will differ from stiff (high) filtering used in modern amps. With a CLC filter, you can remove ghosting and get tight bass without changing the feel and response of the power amp too much. CLC filters work the best in single ended amps and in push pull amps without negative feedback or in cases where low filtering is desireable, without ghosting
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
rooster

Post by rooster »

I've built maybe five 5F4 Fender Supers (same circuit). When you think about the circuit, building it the way Fender did, the screens and plates were tied together. And everyone here knows what that sounds like, right? There will be a significant reduction in output power vs. the same amp with a typical CLC/Pi filter placed between the OT(plates) and screen. More 'compression', some would say. Basically, what some amp makers refer to as the 'Triode' mod/mode', that's engaged with a switch on the back of the amp. Stock it was rated at 30W.

I do know that Kenny really liked the sound of the 5E5-A Pro amp vs. all other Pros, and he referenced this in a VG mag column years ago. As to chokes, I've used a variety of iron here, and actually the choke from a BFTR sounded as good as any other. They do like the filaments run in pairs (not one side grounded to the chassis as in the stock amp), and actually they are a pretty quiet amp with the stock caps. The circuit was Bell Labs/Western Electric by design.
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

Great info Rooster. I've been getting to know the amp with some Weber alnico I had around, and have a Cream Alnico on the way.
As it's set up now, "normal" with the plates and screens separated, screen resistors, etc, its super loud and clean with a 12ay7 in V1 and 12ax7 in the other two spots.... Very bright too. Of course I've got a giant 50W Hammond OT in there too. Also have a 56K NFB, like the super and bandmaster.
I think the Cream speaker will ease the brightness and put it right where I want it, and I'm going to experiment with NFB, as well as that 5M local NFB. Once I get to know it better, I'll rearrange the power supply like the schematic and see what's up. The amp is incredibly dynamic and lively, I was just hoping it would be at the edge of breakup at gig levels, at it's really not! I've got a ton of headroom.
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

Stopped back in to say that the alnico cream sounds ridiculously good with this circuit. The speaker is smooth but articulate. How rare. Some might say dark, but really a re-eq'ing of the amp was all that was needed.
The GREAT part about having to turn the treble up is that both tone controls also act as sort of gain controls as well, so the amp really comes alive with the tone controls up.....and the speaker allows that