Where does sustain come from?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

skyboltone

Re: Where does sustain come from?

Post by skyboltone »

The real explanation requires a familiarity with certain vocabulary not real common to those without proper training. I think the following should prove useful to those who would endeavor to obtain vocabularial improvalence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJKdh1KZ0w

:lol:
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
billyz

Post by billyz »

Compression is a known contributor of sustain. Also, Feedback which excites certain frequencies to resonate, like a tuning fork. Reducing phase cancellations can encourage sustain. The trainwreck third stage is a compression stage which creates sustain. also, the hi gain nature of the preamp probably encourages resonate feedback , which can encourage sustain. Compression in the power tubes also creates sustain.
iknowjohnny

Post by iknowjohnny »

Hmmmm. Quite crombulent not to mention florenthomic. I like the boturamatic and pouriscopic way he speaks.
stoo

Post by stoo »

iknowjohnny wrote:Hmmmm. Quite crombulent not to mention florenthomic. I like the boturamatic and pouriscopic way he speaks.
8) Word!
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

My favorite is still:
"The original machine had a base plate of pre-famulated amulite, surmounted by a malleable logarithmic casing, in such a way that the two spurthing bearings were in a direct line with the panametric fam".

The body language is priceless.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
Jana

Post by Jana »

"spurthing bearings" I love that. I have no idea what they are but I think I need to incorporate them into an amp. It could open a whole new opportunity for qualified techs to "recalibrate the spurthing bearings." :twisted:
Structo

Post by Structo »

billyz wrote:Compression is a known contributor of sustain. Also, Feedback which excites certain frequencies to resonate, like a tuning fork. Reducing phase cancellations can encourage sustain. The trainwreck third stage is a compression stage which creates sustain. also, the hi gain nature of the preamp probably encourages resonate feedback , which can encourage sustain. Compression in the power tubes also creates sustain.
I think that is right on.

It makes sense because when you use a compressor pedal the sustain increases dramatically.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
ted01

Post by ted01 »

What? you didn't like my answer
Bob-I,

Actually, I just about blew beer out the nose!! While not the technical answer I was looking for, I suspect there is much to be said for heaven and the Magic Smoke.

I promise I will stop messing around with the the settings of my amp. I sure don't want to mess with the space/time conti
CaseyJones

Post by CaseyJones »

ted01 wrote:Hey CaseyJones,

With all due respect (and I mean that, I've learned a ton from you), on this, you're just wrong.
That's as far as I got. I'm all choked up.
skyboltone wrote:My favorite is still:
"The original machine had a base plate of pre-famulated amulite, surmounted by a malleable logarithmic casing, in such a way that the two spurthing bearings were in a direct line with the panametric fam".

The body language is priceless.
HOW did I miss this one?

Bob I is of course right on track with this one. High gain is compression, beyond a certain point the amp "ignores" more signal than it can amplify. In its own good time the amplitude of the plucked string comes down to a level below the maximum amplification the preamp is capable of, that's when it starts to fade away. It fades away if you don't do any further "magic tricks", for instance a nice wide vibrato will excite the string enough to keep the note going. Lots of gain, a nice wide vibrato and acoustic feedback... grab this guitar and hold this note for me, my wrist is gettin' tired! :lol:

Sorry I can't explain it better than that. I'll try to do better next time.
Tubetwang

Post by Tubetwang »

Sustain come from Ezekiel 25:17

Major Twang
Jana

Post by Jana »

I'm still hanging on to the pixie dust theory.
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

CaseyJones wrote:HOW did I miss this one?
"The lineup consisted simply of six hydrocoptic marzel vanes, so fitted to the ambifacient lunar waneshaft, that side fumbling was effectively prevented. The winding was of the normal lotus "O" deltoid type placed in panendermic semi-boloid slots of the stator, every seventh conductor being connected by a non-reversible tremupipe to the differential girdle spring on the up end of the grammeters. Moreover when ever fluorescent scoremotion is required, it may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm to reduce sinusoidal depleneration."

Notice how he points his thumbs up when he mentions the "up end" of the grammeters? Wow. Now that's acting. Tom Cruise eat your heart out. I used to play that tape for operations people who often thought they had a pretty good handle on what the technicians were up to. After about a minute viewing the tape you'd start to see the deer in the headlights look.
CaseyJones

Post by CaseyJones »

skyboltone wrote:
CaseyJones wrote:HOW did I miss this one?
"The lineup consisted simply of six hydrocoptic marzel vanes, so fitted to the ambifacient lunar waneshaft, that side fumbling was effectively prevented. The winding was of the normal lotus "O" deltoid type placed in panendermic semi-boloid slots of the stator, every seventh conductor being connected by a non-reversible tremupipe to the differential girdle spring on the up end of the grammeters. Moreover when ever fluorescent scoremotion is required, it may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm to reduce sinusoidal depleneration.".
It takes one to know one... Dan, you're surely as unstable as I am. I can tell because you took the time to transcribe that schtick. Unless... you scripted it to begin with. :lol:

By the design brief it sounds to me like it should work. :lol:
skyboltone wrote:Notice how he points his thumbs up when he mentions the "up end" of the grammeters? Wow. Now that's acting. Tom Cruise eat your heart out. I used to play that tape for operations people who often thought they had a pretty good handle on what the technicians were up to. After about a minute viewing the tape you'd start to see the deer in the headlights look.
Just because Mr. Cruise is a raving lunatic doesn't mean he can't act. Remember, it takes one to know one! Hell, they don't call it HollyWeird fer nuthin'! Just look at what that town has done to that poor boy.

Take poor little Britney Spears for example. She's not as strong in her convictions as Mr. Cruise. She was just a nice little girl from Louisiana. The whole show biz thing is all about givin' the people what they want. They want drama then they want to go to church on Sunday and pretend it isn't like that.