i have a set of single ended amp transformers. worth using?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

wsaraceni

i have a set of single ended amp transformers. worth using?

Post by wsaraceni »

i have a 125DSE output transformer and a 269EX power transformer. What could i make with these? or are these junk and whatever i make should start from scratch. a cool single ended amp using an el84 or a 6v6, solid state rectified, with just a vol or vol/tone would be cool.
johnny riff

Re: i have a set of single ended amp transformers. worth using?

Post by johnny riff »

Hello
I think you could make a nice champ/princeton style amp with the output tranny.but you would need alittle more juice in the power tranny.I think the ex269 specs@190 0 190 which gets you about 260 B+. with SS rect.when you would want 300 + IMO.I built a champ style amp a few years back with el84 output , it's a great sounding little amp.I use it as a practice amp to play along with cd's.

JR
dave g

Post by dave g »

260 volts on the plates is right about where you want to be for a single EL84
johnny riff

Post by johnny riff »

Yes 260 on the plates would work for a el84,but when I built mine I first got it going on a test bed with adjustable B+ and found I liked the higher B+ about 310/315 with 8vdc on the cathode.I guess it all comes down to taste.I would say if you got the parts build away you've nothing to lose and if you enjoy amp building as much as I you'll only gain.

JR
LeeMo

Post by LeeMo »

I built a Mini Wreck with a Firezog line output and VVR. See this thread for gutshots and schemo:
http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... =miniwreck

Mine sounds really good.

LeeMo
I bought a pair of shoes from a drug dealer the other day. I dunno what he laced them with but I’ve been tripping all day,
wsaraceni

Post by wsaraceni »

what would be needed to change the champ schematic to use an el84? what about something similar to a mini z. maybe a mini z with tremolo would be cool.
jimipage

Post by jimipage »

johnny riff wrote:Hello
I think you could make a nice champ/princeton style amp with the output tranny.but you would need alittle more juice in the power tranny.I think the ex269 specs@190 0 190 which gets you about 260 B+. with SS rect.when you would want 300 + IMO.I built a champ style amp a few years back with el84 output , it's a great sounding little amp.I use it as a practice amp to play along with cd's.

JR
Actually, it would be more like 280VDC :

190(primary)/115(VAC)=1.652
1.652*120(wall voltage)=198.24
198.24*1.414(rectification)=280.311

It would definitely work with a single EL84. However, I like the 269EX for standalone preamps.
jimipage

Post by jimipage »

edit
Voodoo_Man

Post by Voodoo_Man »

jimipage wrote:
Actually, it would be more like 280VDC :

190(primary)/115(VAC)=1.652
1.652*120(wall voltage)=198.24
198.24*1.414(rectification)=280.311

It would definitely work with a single EL84. However, I like the 269EX for standalone preamps.
These are real life readings from one I had.

317VDC with FW Center Tapped Rectification and Capacitor Input (121VAC Supply), No load

God Bless,
John
"Arnold, where's my tax refund???"
Alexo

Post by Alexo »

The 269EX is a great transformer for single ended 6AQ5 amps - my favorite! You'll probably need to use a 100uf/250R/100uf pi filter before hitting the OT primary though, that's what works for me. 5K load.
Life is a tale told by an idiot -- full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

...in other words: rock and roll!
jimipage

Post by jimipage »

Voodoo_Man wrote: 317VDC with FW Center Tapped Rectification and Capacitor Input (121VAC Supply), No load
oops -- forgot to mention mine are real life numbers, too, but with load. I more or less got the same results as you. Thanks for clarifying.
8)
wsaraceni

Post by wsaraceni »

what if i wanted to get a different power transformer for the build and use the existing power transformer for a tube tremolo/tube preamp. kinda like a matchless hotbox and vibrobox in one. would that work? anyone have a schematic of this type of setup
wsaraceni

Post by wsaraceni »

still have this transformer. it looks like it would work great for the mini z. anyone know what the specs are of the transformers in the mini z? i think i have almost ALL the parts lying around to build that if i wanted except for the OT and some of the higher wattage resistors.
wsaraceni

Post by wsaraceni »

i've been wanting to build a single ended amp for a while but haven't found the right stuff. i have a spare fender blues jr transformer. think i could use that with the above OT for a nice single ended el34 amp or something
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

The Blues Jr is a PP amp. OT's are not interchangeable. The SE OT has an air gap to keep it from getting over saturated.

The BJ is a 2x EL84 amp. The OT will probably work fine for EL84, 6V6, 6AQ5 in PP config.