Pignose G40V Project

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Littlewyan

Re: Pignose G40V Project

Post by Littlewyan »

I tried playing through mine again tonight but its just........blurry. Not a great way to describe it but there is no definition when playing chords at all. Tightened all the screws up holding the cab together so its pretty solid. I may have a different speaker to you by the way as I heard they changed speaker at some point during production.

I think I'm going to go for the Vintage G10. There is one on ebay, its available and should give me a sort of Vintage 30 sound. If I want the G12M sound then I can plug into my 2x12.
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

Found the oscillation. It appears on the Anode of V2A going into the grid of the Cathode Follower.

Fixed the issue with a .001uf Plate Bypass Cap. Oddly enough this person had the same issue on a real JCM800 http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27113

Now that I've sorted the oscillation it has more high end in a way. When you turn everything up on 10 it squeals unless I run two long cables in series for the guitar. The fix for that is a 100pF cap across the Plate and Cathode of V1A but I'm not fussed about that as I always run two leads anyway.
Stevem

L

Post by Stevem »

One thing to try to get rid of that is to place a .005 cap off of the tip of the input Jack in series to ground with a 47K resistor , then you might just beable to plug straight in with one cable!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

Ah never heard of that before. Will have to try that.

Fitted the new speaker tonight. I must admit its not a massive improvement. In fact it doesn't sound that different! Then again I haven't heard the other speaker since early last week and my bedroom is quite small and usually makes amps sound pretty poor! I guess the real test won't be until I get it to my band's rehearsal room.