General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jaysg

Re: ,......

Post by jaysg »

Structo wrote:So you save $44 if you get it without trannies.
But are you going to be able to get a tranny set for $44?
Check your math there. Nik charges $200 less for the kit when you subtract OT and PT. It's not listed for a wired amp, but he's known to be reasonable with this sort of thing...so that's on the order of $150(guess) to $244(max).
Structo

Post by Structo »

Yes you are right, I was thinking mostly about the difference in shipping costs.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

You can get a great set of transformers for about $200 and be able to choose what you get. I'm sure the Dumble guys here can recommend the right set for the circuit you are getting (OTS, HRM, etc.).

But it appears that the OP want's a pre-built amp, so that kind of defeats the purpose of the kit. I think he'd have to order it built and then have the new transformer set installed here in the US, which doesn't save him any money. Add the cost of the transformer set and bench fees for the install and you're looking at ~$300 or so. Plus the shipping and importation fees of the amp/cab, which will be ~$150 or more with the cab at it's listed weight. So you are looking at close to the cost of a many boutique offerings new and used. But what do I know :wink:
Eardrums!!! We don't need no stinkin' eardrums!
briane

Post by briane »

I dont think you understood me. I said ceriatone was a nice amp, just will need some voicing and minor mods to get it over the top.

My comment that you took to heart was about making a decision soley on price. It sounds like your on the right track, through a combination of various sources....And as a result will end up with a nice amp. But you will need a tech you can trust.

I though ceria transformers were pretty decent myself, again not over the top, but not in need of replacing. My understanding is mods will be more related to tone stack, types of resistors, and some wiring mods. Theres a complete list on this site of the upgrades.

Niks a nice guy, fair and honest. Theres definetly a price point he is marketing to.

But yes, do play before you decide.
it really is a journey, and you just cant farm out the battle wounds
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

Hey briane,

I don't think anyone is really knocking Nik's stuff. Yes, you can get a good sounding amp directly from him, however the experience of folks here is that a significant upgrade in tone is achieved via a transformer upgrade and other tweaks.

The point being is that with all the upgrades, why not just get a boutique Dumble type? The tweaks are basically going to make up the difference in cost when all is said and done.

$1100 for amp + cab (sans tubes)
$200 shipping
$100 importation duties
$100 for tubes (unless you opt for the JJs from Nik for $50)
-------------------------------------------
$1500 baseline
$200 for new transformers
$100 for transformer install
$200 tech fees for other tweaks
-------------------------------------------
$2000 modified

Simple economics really. Where Nik's stuff really makes economic sense is in the kits. Package 1 for $450, choose your own transformers, then pay someone here to build it for you, or venture into DIY.

Anyway, not my decision, so enjoy the OTS.
Structo

Post by Structo »

In the end as well is how picky about the tone the OP is.

If he is the type of guy that many of us here are, he will have a very critical ear and may wish to shape the tone a little differently.

Some of the builders here set the bar pretty high so that may add to our OCD about these amps.

On the other hand, he may plug into the OTS and be completely happy with it.

As a word of caution, if you do get this amp, make sure you pile on some hours before you judge the amp.
Many times a overly harsh amp will settle down and sweeten up after 20-50 hours of use.

Also I don't think speakers were discussed much be these amps tone is very dependant on what speakers and cab you run with it.

Many like the Celestion 1265's or EVM 12L's.

For a cheaper budget there is the Eminence line with the Red, White and Blues or Delta Pro speakers for less money.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

Absolutely true Tom. We do obsess about all things amps, so you got it right, he may plug in and love it. If it were my money, I would be concerned about sinking about $2k into an amp that I would have trouble moving for $1k. Pretty simple stuff. I could buy a used boutique Dumble type for around $1.5k-ish or so, and get what I paid for it if it wasn't my favorite cheeseburger :wink: That's just sound financial advice.

There is nothing wrong with Ceriatone gear other than it has little resale value. Quality stuff at a very low price. If you tweak it, which most folks do, don't expect to recoup the investment into the amp when or if you decide to sell it.
jaysg

Post by jaysg »

http://cgi.ebay.com/CeriaTone-50-WATT-O ... 2c518873ca

Doesn't look bad and fits the OP's stated needs.

One thing I've liked about the process here is that Tom's list of speakers really is The List. Enough energy and money has been put in by people like Gary Glasman, that there's no reason to look beyond those four, with the first two being the best.
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

jaysg wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/CeriaTone-50-WATT-O ... 2c518873ca

Doesn't look bad and fits the OP's stated needs.

One thing I've liked about the process here is that Tom's list of speakers really is The List. Enough energy and money has been put in by people like Gary Glasman, that there's no reason to look beyond those four, with the first two being the best.
I've recently turned Jelle and Moss onto the Fane Studio 12L, and Scott (Dogears) has been using a Medusa 150 for quite a while now. So, I wouldn't simply leave that list at 4. There are lots of other speakers that people like and use as well, as it's all personal preference and what makes sense in the cabinet they are using.
KT66

Post by KT66 »

Rousse, The most knowledgeable people building both 'Wrecks and Dumbles are members of this forum. Some of them have graciously taken their time to answer your question, but you don't seem to want to take their advice. I think it is kind of rude to barge in here asking questions and then to declare the topic closed.

I'm sure Nik is a perfectly nice person; though I don't see him contributing to this thread. In fact, somebody correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I can tell he wouldn't know a damn thing about Trainwrecks or Dumbles if not for all of the lurking that he does here without contributing anything.

I also don't see how someone from half-way around the world can offer any kind of service that won't involve a lot of shipping, so why not get one of the forum members here who is a part of the ongoing Dumble discussion, to build you an amp ? They can probably guide you towards the exact kind of D style amp that would be good for you, the resale value will probably be higher if you decide at some point you don't want it, and it will be made in the USA.

Just my 3 cents.
Ryan

Music is the best. F.Z.

http://Classictubeamps.com
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

Nik's release of Dumble type amps has ruffled some feathers of folks here, and for good reason. I won't get into details, but there may be threads about it.
Tonegeek

Post by Tonegeek »

After re-reading this topic, my feeling is the OP had his mind made up before ever posting that he was getting a Ceriatone, and was just looking for agreement. When he didn't get glowing endorsements from everyone, then he gets defensive. Also, when asked, he never did say where he was from. That's kind of troll-like. So, my comment is not to the OP, but to everyone else- Many of you are patient and generous to a fault, and seem willing to help even when meeting resistance from those that would bite the hand that feeds them. It's inspiring!

Brought to you by the committee for niceness and goodness :wink:
Pitcher Amplification
http://pitcheramps.com
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Agree. :)
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

Is there a such thing as being overly helpful :wink:

Yes, we have a great group of folks here that love to share and help each other.

If the OP was just looking for validation, well he got it. :)
briane

Post by briane »

yes, this place seems to have become livid with first timers who think they have a great idea, but want the community to agree with them. They are always upset when someone suggests a better idea. My view is if you did not want the combined support of millions of hours of research by talented musicians and electronic experts who specialize in dumble and wrecks, then dont ask the question.

Dart, right on with the costs associated with upgrading. I was hoping the OP might have a good friend that could do tech mods on the cheap, but your right, theres no resell value in that. I understand you comments on the ceria xformers, but I assumed the OP was not as OCD as me, and would be happy with the stock parts.

I feel like I was dragged under a bridge and eaten.
it really is a journey, and you just cant farm out the battle wounds