Silverface twin conversion

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

benoit

Silverface twin conversion

Post by benoit »

So.. there's a silverface twin at a pawn shop in town. It's had the master removed and some randome pot added in the back, and it's only got one output tube. No idea if it actually even runs. I'm thinking of walking in with 300 cash and seeing if they'll bite. Speakers look original for what that's worth.

I'm thinking of modding to blackface spec and converting it to run 4 6v6s instead of 6L6s. That would mean it should see roughly an 8 ohm instead of 4, yes?
"I never practice my guitar. From time to time I just open the case and throw in a piece of raw meat." --Wes Montgomery
David Root

Re: Silverface twin conversion

Post by David Root »

The earlier the better. Do you know which circuit it is? 8 ohms should be right for 4x6V6.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Ben you didn't pick that amp up yet, on the phone I thought you said you were going back over there?

It would be worth it and talk them down like you said.
benoit

Post by benoit »

M Fowler wrote:Ben you didn't pick that amp up yet, on the phone I thought you said you were going back over there?

It would be worth it and talk them down like you said.
Yeah, haven't gone yet, realized tax time was coming up awful quick and decided to wait til I figured out what the damage is. I've got a savings account that should more than cover it but better safe than sorry. Just had some unexpected money come in though, and my lovely wife gave it a genuine green light, not just a "go ahead but you'll be paying for it years from now", so I probably will pick it up real soon if it's still there. New speakers as well if funds allow. I may just blackface it and not change the output, just try to flip it for a profit too. Hard to say. Keep changing my mind. Could also pull the trannies, I have a Dumble chassis and board set that just is waiting for xformers and stuffing. Then maybe throw deluxe reverb iron in the twin... I'll never make up my mind.
"I never practice my guitar. From time to time I just open the case and throw in a piece of raw meat." --Wes Montgomery
benoit

Post by benoit »

David Root wrote:The earlier the better. Do you know which circuit it is? 8 ohms should be right for 4x6V6.
It's got an MV so no blackface guts, unless someone blackfaced it. That would be neat I guess if it was done right. Since it's already been modded I might totally overhaul - keep the old caps maybe but new board, sockets, maybe new pots. Can you tell I hate decisions?
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

If you want it, low ball them as it's been hacked and may not operate at all. Something like $100-$150 as it's a complete gamble. Those MV Twins are great candidates for mods, especially one that has already been messed with, a basket case if you will.
Eardrums!!! We don't need no stinkin' eardrums!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Ben I could stop by there after work and lowball the guy and see what happens, if you want the amp. At least tell them its a POS. :D
benoit

Post by benoit »

M Fowler wrote:Ben I could stop by there after work and lowball the guy and see what happens, if you want the amp. At least tell them its a POS. :D
Ye could I suppose. I stopped in there looking at other stuff yesterday and notice that there is another 6L6 sitting in the cab on the floor, so that weakens my case slightly. I don't know if it would help anything if you went in and lowballed 'em and then I went in a bit later. If you've got good bargaining skills, I'd go in with you and let you do the talking, I'm all cashed up to go. I'm not real experienced with pawn shops or bargaining.