Dual secondary HV laydown PT?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

surfsup

Dual secondary HV laydown PT?

Post by surfsup »

I am having a hard time finding a PT that would have dual secondaries with around 265/265 and 300/300 options with 125V mains. Everything is listed as "marshall replacement" or "fender replacement" etc...

Anyone know of a source with something close they use?

i'd like to have a 5V winding as well if possible...
ToneMerc

Re: Dual secondary HV laydown PT?

Post by ToneMerc »

Here's Brian Wallace's dual secondary version of a Marshall JTM50 transformer. It has pretty much everything you are looking for; laydown mounting, dual secondaries (370V & 420V) and the 5VAC tap. If you want to drop voltage even further put a 25W 100 ohm resistor in the HT center tap.

http://www.marstran.com/118.htm

My first suggestion would be just to have Heyboer wind you whatever you wish.

TM
surfsup

Post by surfsup »

That PT is putting out quite a bit more voltage and I don't see dual secondaries on any of their PTs. Just multiple primary taps.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

surfsup wrote:That PT is putting out quite a bit more voltage and I don't see dual secondaries on any of their PTs. Just multiple primary taps.
You asked about dual 265V & 300V HT taps, which we be around 370V and 420VDC unloaded. I pointed you towards one transformer, the 1202-118. Brian's 1202-118 PT does have dual(low & high) HT taps which provides around 370(low) & 420VDC(high) unloaded. The one pictured is an outdated photo, the 1202-118 that he has been selling for awhile now comes with the dual secondaries as standard. The dual ones have 7 terminals across the top, older ones only have 5 terminals.

http://marstran.com/InStock.htm

What exactly are you looking for?

TM
surfsup

Post by surfsup »

Okay I didn't see any dual secondary comments on that page and when I clicked on the voltage link, I was seeing higher values (but I see now its just a general page for technical info, not for THAT power tranny). I also see now the little comment on the "in stock" link that says it has two secondaries - would be better if that info was listed on the PT info page.

I'll contact them thank you for pointing that out.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

surfsup wrote:Okay I didn't see any dual secondary comments on that page and when I clicked on the voltage link, I was seeing higher values (but I see now its just a general page for technical info, not for THAT power tranny). I also see now the little comment on the "in stock" link that says it has two secondaries - would be better if that info was listed on the PT info page.

I'll contact them thank you for pointing that out.
10-4
big_teee

Post by big_teee »

surfsup wrote:I am having a hard time finding a PT that would have dual secondaries with around 265/265 and 300/300 options with 125V mains. Everything is listed as "marshall replacement" or "fender replacement" etc...

Hi All:
Have you looked at the Classic Tone Transformers?
They list specs on all their transformers.
Here's one that might work.
http://www.classictone.net/40-18054.html
http://www.classictone.net/40-18054.pdf
They have good prices too.
Later,
Terry
big_teee

Post by big_teee »

surfsup wrote:I am having a hard time finding a PT that would have dual secondaries with around 265/265 and 300/300 options with 125V mains. Everything is listed as "marshall replacement" or "fender replacement" etc...

I think this is the exact one you are looking for.
This one is for the TrainWreck Circuit.
http://www.classictone.net/40-18065.html
http://www.classictone.net/40-18065.pdf
Terry
surfsup

Post by surfsup »

Bigtee thx that last one is perfect but its not laydown mounting...i'm still searching their site.

Tonemerc still waiting tonhear back from your guy, just wanna be sure on the amp ratings and mounting pattern/cutout size.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

surfsup wrote:Tonemerc still waiting tonhear back from your guy, just wanna be sure on the amp ratings and mounting pattern/cutout size.
Surfup, I've used that PT before. What exactly do you need to know? The mounting centers are the same as a JTM45, JTM50 or Twin Reverb and I can get the cut out size for you as well.
big_teee

Post by big_teee »

surfsup wrote:Bigtee thx that last one is perfect but its not laydown mounting...i'm still searching their site.

Tonemerc still waiting tonhear back from your guy, just wanna be sure on the amp ratings and mounting pattern/cutout size.
Those Classic Tones are made in your home town (Chicago). I would be tempted to try and call someone and see if they can convert one to a Laydown version.
I used a set of the Classic Tones in a 2204 Clone I built a while back, and They have performed Great. Especially for what they cost.
Good Luck,
Terry
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

surfsup wrote:Bigtee thx that last one is perfect but its not laydown mounting...i'm still searching their site.
You can always make it laydown, the only real issue is the mounting feet. Well, you don't actually need the inside exiting endbell so remove it. The other outside endbell you cut the mounting feet off flush with the cover. Then can dress the edge with gloss black model paint and replace the stock bolts with ones that are .125 or .250 longer and now you have a laydown PT.

On the other hand if you have to do research and rundown if you can get it converted or make a trip to procure paint, extra bolts, etc. and equate your labor time to money; ordering a custom unit up front has it advantages.

How soon do you need it and what's the real cost?

TM
surfsup

Post by surfsup »

Okay I didn't realize you can take PTs apart - not sure if I wanna do that for fear of ruining a $150 part. The marstran guy only just now got back to me, and I see the PT is no longer in stock, though I wonder how accurate his website can be when it takes him a week to respond to an email...

Sigh. I don't know how you guys do it. Maybe its my mood today but the weekend-warrior-with-a-website responding a week later is a PITA. Hey, I just invented another web acronym (WWWAW).
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Even the most used on-line websites (not named so I don't get calls) are out of products, no longer available or wait time is!

A cabinet supplier I use, not Taylor he is great :lol:, don't even let me know when they are shipping. All I see is a receipt for paypal payment and then you have to email them after 3 weeks to see what the status of the order is.

Unless you establish a direct contact to the manufacture through a sales rep your at the middleman's mercy. Buying parts by the 1,000 or 10,000 can reduce pricing but financially having high overhead isn't good for your company either.

I am just glad we have quite a few resources available still.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

surfsup wrote:

Sigh. I don't know how you guys do it. Maybe its my mood today but the weekend-warrior-with-a-website responding a week later is a PITA. Hey, I just invented another web acronym (WWWAW).

You don't take the transformer apart; you score the lacquer coating with a razor knife, gently pry the endbell away from the laminate stack and lift off the endbell, it takes about 2-3 minutes tops.

It's called project planning........... :D

Since I've delt with Brian Wallace before I'll defend him as being one of the good guys in the amp building business. Not only is he the sole provider of some products, but he's one who is pretty darn knowledgable when it comes to vintage Marshall's as well.

One way to solve WWWAW; start your own parts business, stock tons of inventory on the shelf and then wind your own custom transformers. Always think that food, shelter and raising a family is way overrated.

Like Mark said, be glad that we still have a few niche resources available.

FYI, I haven't communicated with Heyboer in about 3 few weeks or so, but I was told that business is very good and instead of my normal 2-2.5 weeks lead time, it was going to be at least 30 days if I wanted something wound.

Sometimes you have to hurry up and wait.

TM