Fender DRRI tone

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Clemford

Fender DRRI tone

Post by Clemford »

Does a Fender DRRI have a fairly good bassy low end? All the clips I can find tend to make them sound weak in the lows and lacking warmth. Especially in comparison to the PRRI. Don't want another weak thin bottomed amp. Can't find any local to try and I have a chance to get a good deal on one locally. thanks
Reeltarded

Re: Fender DRRI tone

Post by Reeltarded »

Open back and computer recordings? Not like a twin, but there is lowend for an amp that size. They are low-mid centric when cranked up.
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

You should be able to make the DRRI as bottomy as you want. Might take a speaker change. Certainly a recap on the main filter (which is unusual in the RI). Coupling cap to the PI is the other place to fool around.
Clemford

Post by Clemford »

thanks guys , I'm gonna go for it.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I just sent a message to Jonny Lang to see if he is still using his Fender DRRI and how he likes it. Not sure what recorded song he used the DRRI on but I know he used it on the Experience Tour.

Mark
topbrent

Post by topbrent »

M Fowler wrote:I just sent a message to Jonny Lang to see if he is still using his Fender DRRI and how he likes it. Not sure what recorded song he used the DRRI on but I know he used it on the Experience Tour.

Mark
I read that his DRRI's were equipped with Hoffman style turret boards.
dealer: allparts, weber, antique electronic supply
Clemford

Post by Clemford »

Went down to Tampa yesterday to pick it up. The guy selling it bought it 4 yrs. ago and barely used it so it was a bit dusty. Cleaned it up and it's like brand new. Even got the original sales slip since it still has a year warranty left on it. Paid 525.00 which I consider to be a good deal. Must say, it's a nice compact and light amp for grab n go. I can see why they're so popular. Much lighter than the mdf HRD I had thanks to real plywood. Didn't have a chance to crank it up but it seems like Channel 1 has a bit more bass to it. Read something about clipping a bright cap on Channel 2 to equal ch.1 Also, I'm not sure if it's normal or not but the vibrato effects is a little ticky sounding with the volume way down but seems to fade out when the volume is turned up.
tried to post pic, no worky
Structo

Post by Structo »

Welcome to the Amp Garage.

Try to re-size your picture of your amp to a bit lower resolution then use the Attachment tool, choose file then submit.

I think if the file is too large that it will refuse to upload.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

Clemford wrote:Went down to Tampa yesterday to pick it up. The guy selling it bought it 4 yrs. ago and barely used it so it was a bit dusty. Cleaned it up and it's like brand new. Even got the original sales slip since it still has a year warranty left on it. Paid 525.00 which I consider to be a good deal. Must say, it's a nice compact and light amp for grab n go. I can see why they're so popular. Much lighter than the mdf HRD I had thanks to real plywood. Didn't have a chance to crank it up but it seems like Channel 1 has a bit more bass to it. Read something about clipping a bright cap on Channel 2 to equal ch.1 Also, I'm not sure if it's normal or not but the vibrato effects is a little ticky sounding with the volume way down but seems to fade out when the volume is turned up.
tried to post pic, no worky
The originals are on a lot of lists of "desert island" amps. Reissues ain't half bad either. The RIs have a quirky main filter (that works fine) but when the time comes to recap are a pain because the filter cap board is pcb; replace that board with something conventional and you can go to "stock" values.
A little trem tick is normal; the RIs kept the neon bulb IIRC.
Yes, the "Vibrato" channel has a 47pf cap across the volume pot to brighten it up at lower volumes. I clipped it out on my original, but in retrospect, I think I'd just add it to the "Normal" channel (where it should have been in the first place).
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

M Fowler wrote:I just sent a message to Jonny Lang to see if he is still using his Fender DRRI and how he likes it. Not sure what recorded song he used the DRRI on but I know he used it on the Experience Tour.

Mark
Mark...build that man one of yours
Class act for sure along with Kenny Wayne and Charlie Sexton
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

dcribbs1412 wrote:

Mark
Mark...build that man one of yours
Class act for sure along with Kenny Wayne and Charlie Sexton
I think Jonny played so damn good when he was younger around my town with The Big Bang group and I miss his saxophone playing. They played very loud which I also enjoyed. I'll have to call the Keller boys and see if they can get a hold of Jonny. No response yet.

Mark
Clemford

Post by Clemford »

here' the pic's of my new amp. Tried it out some more tonight and it sounds very nice at around 2-1/2 to 3. Even though the brightness adds a certain sparkle/shimmer on ch 2, I still would like to get the deep bass on ch. 2 like ch.1 has. Hopefully clipping the cap will do that. It really is nice to finally get that Fender clean. All my other amps that sound nice on clean, still can't capture what this does. I did try a Marshall ED1 compressor pedal to try and tame it to lower volumes but it seemed very clicky and poppy whereas on my H&K 25th it works beautifully on both channels. I'll have many nights to enjoy this and get used to it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lancelon

Post by Lancelon »

I just love the fender's tune this is amazing thanks for sharing here.
errors and omissions real estate E&O insuranceinsurance in california
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

I'm no DR guru, but an easy mod to try would be to increase the value of the 0.022uF coupling cap out of channel 2 stage 2 (C12 on the DRRI schematic), which will increase the low end as opposed to reducing the high end. I say easy because all you have to do is parallel another 0.022 (say) across C12 and see what happens.

See comments here, especially w/ regard to the speaker: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-central- ... ences.html
Gibsonman63

Post by Gibsonman63 »

To get more bottom, crank the amp up a bit, to 4 or 5 and roll the volume down on the guitar. (providing that you don't have the treble bleed circuit). Now you can spank the guitar for more percussive tones and get a nicer round bottom end and roll out your volume on the guitar for leads.

You can also try with the tone controls wide open and dial down to suit.

Also, get used to the amp without pedals for a while until you get it dialed in.