How Long?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Firestorm

Re: How Long?

Post by Firestorm »

Well, as long as we're doing this: the lunar rate of retreat has diminished. Inverse square reduction in gravitation isn't overcome by mass gain by either body. But the mass gain of each during the heavy bombardment era was much larger (but you also have to account for the momentum of the impactors). When I studied this, we hadn't evolved the giant impact hypothesis (Theia impact with proto earth). Besides giving us more than our fair share of heavy material, so we can have a larger core, the models suggest a much closer, crazily elliptical orbit. Early on, the moon locked into an orbital rotational resonance so that the nearside always faces us. All of the lunar basalts are nearside and apparently melted by tidal forces. They date from 3.6 - 3.9 B years (J. Head, 1976), so the orbital lock was in place by then. But there are some basalts as young as 1.2 B years. Although some of these may be impact melt, it looks like serious tidal forces were still in play.

So the interesting question about the early lunar orbit is how close. Farther than one of the Roche points, but close enough to melt the basalts. What effect does that have on earth? Enough to start mantle convection? Enough to make the core spin?

I'll add this, then shut up: Venus is similar mass and density, but no field and likely no convection. Mars smaller and lighter, but had a field. No convection though. The reason Olympus Mons is the biggest volcano in the Solar System is the mantle plume stays put relative to the crust. No Yellowstone chain of eruptions, just in the same place over and over.
Structo

Post by Structo »

:shock:
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

Yeah, that took a major hijack turn. Sorry.
Structo

Post by Structo »

:lol:
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
renshen1957

Post by renshen1957 »

Structo wrote:I was looking at some new electrolytic capacitor specs today
and it seems that many high quality electrolytic capacitors
have a life expectancy of 3,000 hours or 125 years or more.

Does that shoot a hole into the 10 year life span theory of electrolytic capacitors in tube amps?

I'm sure that heat and other variables play a part in the life expectancy of
the capacitors.

But still......
Hi,

3,000 hours would be a little over 4 years if one played 2 hours per day, seven days a week.

The last time I check 125 years was composed of circa 1,110,000 hours.

Best regards,

Steve
Every Tom, Dick, and Harry is named Steve
cbass

Post by cbass »

It depends on if your using comon core math or fuzzy math
renshen1957

Post by renshen1957 »

cbass wrote:It depends on if your using comon core math or fuzzy math
Hi,

I was using "New Math" from the 1960s. One year 365.25 days X 24 hours=8,766 hours. 8766 hours X 125 years =1,095,750 hours. Which is the same as 1,100,000-4250. The difference in my answer is an error which is insignificant in electronics, especially where tube amps are concerned.

For the cap to last 125 years at a life expectancy of 3,000 hours one could only play 0.07 hours per day (4 1/5 minutes per day) or 0.7 hour (42 minutes) in a ten day period, or 7 hours over a one hundred days' time.

Fuzzy Math started in the 1960's, too, about the same time the Maestro FZ-1 Fuzz Tone was used on the Stones "Satisfaction and Sola Sound Tone Bender in the UK came unto the scene to begin the "Fuzz Era," which resulted in Fuzzy Logic.
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

renshen1957 wrote:I was using "New Math" from the 1960s.
Drat that new math, only course I nearly failed. 7th grade was hell. The only thing I remember from it that had any use, Venn diagrams. Thanx hevvins they let me take Algebra I the next year, that stuff made sense.

Nice to see you renshen! "Rarely seen but always good." :D

Goes for you too cbass, where ya been?
down technical blind alleys . . .
renshen1957

Post by renshen1957 »

Leo_Gnardo wrote:
Drat that new math, only course I nearly failed. 7th grade was hell. The only thing I remember from it that had any use, Venn diagrams. Thanx hevvins they let me take Algebra I the next year, that stuff made sense.

Hi Leo Gnardo,

Nice to be remembered. Working my tail off the last 13 months double shifts 7 days per week building power supplies (point to point) rather than building amps.

The really good thing I got out of New Math was I was able to read Roman Numerals for the year a film. I also learned to count in base 2, base 12, which helped later with base 16.

Best regards,

Steve
cbass

Post by cbass »

Leo_Gnardo wrote:

Hey Leo been super busy making sawdust ,boy that plays jv and varsity football , harvest season, getting my mom's house ready to go up for sale and getting my own house finished and on the market. managed to build a couple amps one of the has 20,000 hour rated caps i think should still be good after the sun explodes in 5billion years
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

cbass wrote:Hey Leo been super busy making sawdust ,boy that plays jv and varsity football , harvest season, getting my mom's house ready to go up for sale and getting my own house finished and on the market. managed to build a couple amps one of the has 20,000 hour rated caps i think should still be good after the sun explodes in 5billion years
Cool! :cool: I was worried you sailed off for Singapore. Or somethin.
down technical blind alleys . . .
cbass

Post by cbass »

oops