My first mod/build......It lives!

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Smokebreak

Re: My first mod/build......It lives!

Post by Smokebreak »

Interesting stuff here. I assumed a modified 800 with 4 stages and holes drilled, but it looks like a plexi type build that was modified for 3+CF. What was this amp originally?
The things that pop out to me initially are that 2nd stage 1K5//large cap and a 15K slope? It doesn't "look" too bright. It actually looks thick. i bet if you upped the cap over the plate on the second stage it would be more to your liking with a non-LP guitar.
studiodunn

Post by studiodunn »

Smokebreak wrote:Interesting stuff here. I assumed a modified 800 with 4 stages and holes drilled, but it looks like a plexi type build that was modified for 3+CF. What was this amp originally?
The things that pop out to me initially are that 2nd stage 1K5//large cap and a 15K slope? It doesn't "look" too bright. It actually looks thick. i bet if you upped the cap over the plate on the second stage it would be more to your liking with a non-LP guitar.
You are correct, the Levi started as a Ceriatone JCM800. No extra stages added and this is a thick amp. My 6L6 build is much brighter than the Levi. Frank told me it was a #34 mod/MK7. Not sure what it all means but it is a great sounding amp. Very chewy and warm sounding if EQ'd to be so.
I was referring to My build being really bright from the original #36 build. In all honesty I was changing all sorts of things, so the hrashness may have been elsewhere.
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

My bad, I misunderstood which amp was the bright one. I love that the mods have gotten to MK7 with this thing. I bet that amp sounds amazing when it gets loud.