Good designs for dummy loads?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dbharris

Re: Good designs for dummy loads?

Post by dbharris »

I am working on a dummy load as well and was trying to mostly use parts that I already have. My plan is to house this in a Hammond 1590D aluminum enclosure (7.4x4.7x2 inches),and use 2 8 Ohm 100W resistors, 3 TRS jacks, and a 3PDT switch. My 3PDT is rated: 250vac at 3A and 125vac at 6A. Hoping that the enclosure will provide enough of a heat sink for the 2 resistors.

Schematic attached. The switch in the "up" position on the schematic will be for a 4 Ohm load at 200W. The 8 Ohm jack should work regardless of switch position at 100W and the 16 Ohm jack would work with the switch in the down position at 100W.

I am wiring the + side to the Tip and then the - side wired to the Ring. Ground is wired to the Sleeve. That way when a mono cable is inserted there is a connection made between the Ring and Sleeve to provide a ground for the circuit.

I would use this when testing amps or burning them, so I don't want a reactive load.

Does this look like it should work? I am not sure what kind of current the 3PDT will see.

Thanks

-Dan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy Le Blanc

Post by Andy Le Blanc »

I've taken to using an dryer heating element, clip on to the needed resistance, simple stupid. Rated to 5k. I know there's bones to pick with it, but heck,... free to cheap.
lazymaryamps
dizzyhippoman

Post by dizzyhippoman »

Absolutely this....

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... d.1072793/

i built one....sounds terrific! FEELS terrific.....very cheap to do too....

don't do resistive load....do a reactive load....

here is my build....thats a computer fan on the heat sink...now the case does not get hot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Take the resistors you need, - usually 10 or 20 ohm ww's will do, and dunk them in a quart paint can with oil... add connectors, switches - whatever..... if you need sustained loading, - use a gallon can.... This has been used for RF for ages....
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

you mean 10 or 20 Watt, right?
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.