Opinion: The most versatile tube combo amp?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Most versatile tube combo amp?

Marshall
2%
Peavey
No votes
Bogner
2%
Diezel
No votes
Engl
2%
Mesa Boogie
10%
Fender
56%
Dumbell
10%
Trainwreck
5%
None of the above? Post your choice.
15%

Total votes: 62

skyboltone

Re: Opinion: The most versatile tube combo amp?

Post by skyboltone »

Travis wrote:
Ears wrote:
Travis wrote:And you never answered the question at hand. I guess your more intrested in correcting the obvious. :wink:
You can't answer a question that is an oxymoron. If I voted Fender it wouldn't mean a damn thing.
So If you like Fender then vote for Fender. You might even post which one you like so everyone can laugh at you. :wink:
Travis, this ain't the gear page. Ears is a highly trained, competent amp tech who you are now, as Determined Rookie, pissing off. That in turn pisses others off, that in turn leads to mod action. Please, let it go. I answered your question and knew what you meant. Just let it go.

Thanks
Dan, one of the senior members around here. For now.
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
Travis

Post by Travis »

skyboltone wrote:
Travis wrote:
Ears wrote: You can't answer a question that is an oxymoron. If I voted Fender it wouldn't mean a damn thing.
So If you like Fender then vote for Fender. You might even post which one you like so everyone can laugh at you. :wink:
Travis, this ain't the gear page. Ears is a highly trained, competent amp tech who you are now, as Determined Rookie, pissing off. That in turn pisses others off, that in turn leads to mod action. Please, let it go. I answered your question and knew what you meant. Just let it go.

Thanks
Dan, one of the senior members around here. For now.
Sure thing. He just reminded me of my Dad. A craftily respected, affluent, tetchy chap who loved pointing out flaws in everyone. It's a good thing he changed as he aged. Humility is wisdom. That's why I'm a rookie with determination.
Rookie with Determination
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

I'm not trying to fuel any fires but this is a difficult pole to answer. What is the goal of this pole? are you trying to buy an amp? or just want to find out what others are fond of? if your buying an amp buy any 1960's fender and any 1979 or earlier Marshall and an A/B/Y box and call it a day. Then you have both marshall and fender aswell as a hybrid. A more interesting poll would be speaker preference, start by brand then size, wattage, vintage, magnet type, and finish up with best in which "type" of cabinet. If anyone has the desire to roll with that by all means go for it.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
Travis

Post by Travis »

trying to see what people like mainly. I'll build and buy something as well. this poll is showing us the best options I think. next time i'll be more specific.
Rookie with Determination
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

no offense but for the cost of the soldano you can get several amps so i'm not sure this poll has any merit as the sky is the limit. You might want to adjust your poll to a price point. The biggest factor is the player!!!
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
Tubetwang

Post by Tubetwang »

a) Princeton Reverb
b) Deluxe Reverb
Andy Le Blanc

Post by Andy Le Blanc »

fender deluxe reverb..... a super maybe
its a hard thing to get past, there are so many amps with so many bells and
whistles, and they all suck. a 25-35 watt combo with verb that breaks
up nice really is all you really need. Besides, if you can't make happen
with a tele' and champ, don't bother.
lazymaryamps
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Okay I do not really have a favorite because the more amps I build my opinion on things change. The more I fine tune the amps the better they get.

It used to be my Fender Super Reverb but that is now sitting in the corner.

Mark
Structo

Post by Structo »

Lately my favorite has been my Brown Note D'Lite 44. :P

It's finally getting to where it is a real joy to play. :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
DCinDC

Post by DCinDC »

I don't think most of these choices are very versatile.
That doesn't mean they aren't nice amps, but I am very literal.

I own about 30 amps.

My Crate Stealth 50 combo, is the most versatile.

Plenty of power, Fendery cleans all the way to metal. Nice reverb, powerful (4 6V6s), small, and cheap.
Kregg

Post by Kregg »

Who doesn't love their favorite Fender or Marshall amps? I would own every amp on that list and then some. Mesa Boogie is a stunning amp. I love every amp I own, but, I'd have to say that I could not live without my Fuch's ODS or my Divided by 13 LDW 17/39.
After I finish building my TW clone I may revise my opinion. That said, the Divided by 13 FTR 37 can get Marshally or Fenderesque in an instant. http://www.dividedby13.com/ftr37.html

Oops, that's "combo", silly me. :oops:
Last edited by Kregg on Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
butwhatif

Post by butwhatif »

For straightahead jazz--my polytone megabrute beats the hundreds of amps in the list-- ain't much can come close--so, 'none of the above'
CaseyJones

Post by CaseyJones »

I'll go for one o' those four channel Egnaters but it ain't a combo.

You want more flexibility? Buy two of 'em! :lol:
Kregg

Post by Kregg »

I suppose we should have asked the obvious first: What style of music do you play? I've got a Peavey classic fifty (4x10) that kicks butt and cleans up nicely. I also love my Carr Rambler, but for versatility I love the Slant 6.
CaseyJones

Post by CaseyJones »

Kregg wrote:I suppose we should have asked the obvious first: What style of music do you play?
Oh, no. The question was, "What's the most versatile?" so the answer obviously has to be an amp that will do smooth jazz where the amp just goes, "putt-putt-putt" and the notes end up in a little pile on the floor in front of the speaker... all the way out to Rammstein / Manson / Zombie grind and beyond. So lemme guess... Line 6?! :lol:

If this was anything like the usual "which amp" wankfest we'd have three pages of everyone offering up the amp they wished they had even though their choice in absolutely no way relates to the OP's criteria. :lol: