Learning to play guitar - all over again

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Ken Moon

Learning to play guitar - all over again

Post by Ken Moon »

I haven't played guitar for more than 5 minutes for over a year now, due to my medical adventures.

Today, I tried to play for about an hour, using my PRS SE and my little Katana SS amp.

Before, I could set the amp on the Clean setting, add some distortion with a TS, and get a pretty good impression of my favorite Pink Floyd leads.

Today, it just wasn't there :-(

I've lost most of the strength in my hands/fingers, and I can't dig in like is needed for that sound.

I ended up playing some of the old blues standards I learned when I got my first guitar, a Fender MusicMaster (which came with a free Champ), when I was 13 years old.

Then I tuned down, and had some fun with Sympathy for the Devil, which takes little to no hand strength ;-)

Now I feel a bit down, but I'm not going to give up. Maybe, if I keep at it, I'll get a decent sound back by this time next year.

Anybody else experience anything like this?
xtian

Re: Learning to play guitar - all over again

Post by xtian »

Don’t give up! It will come back faster than you think.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

I suffered a severed tendon to my left index finger. I was unable to play at all for about two years and then was mostly restricted to bar chords. I am just starting to get enough dexterity to do an open C or D chord. I’m still am clumsy as f*ck... but getting better.
Ken Moon

Post by Ken Moon »

Wow, brewdude :shock:

It's amazing you could play bar chords!

At least you live near lots of great wineries and breweries to ease your pain 8)

Best regards,

Ken
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

Thanks for the support.
Mostly, I would just offer encouragement.

Honestly, I figured it was the universe telling me to learn to play lap steel... but, I’ve been working more at playing with my fingers than with a slide. It’s slower than I wish, keeps improving.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I had a cat bite me 5 times, and had to have my fret hand cut open several ways from sunday. It took some time to get it back, but it came back. I still have the odd twinge though and I'm still not as fast/deft as I used to be.

Keep it up, you'll get there.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Ken Moon

Post by Ken Moon »

Phil,

Did you get Cat Scratch Fever? :wink:

The troubles y'all have made it through make mine feel like nothing, as far as playing guitar goes. Thanks for the inspiration!
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

My approach is to REALLY be in the mood with more than an hour to really focus. Turn on some AM radio and just play along with everything that comes on. It reminds you of all the things and your grip changes faster the less you think about it. Soon enough!
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Guys keep at it, playing guitar is a stress relief.

I have nerve problems and arthritis so playing clean like I used to is impossible but I still keep on playing just don't gig anymore but wouldn't mind trying a band reunion gig to see how it goes.

Mark
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Ken Moon wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:08 am Phil,

Did you get Cat Scratch Fever? :wink:

The troubles y'all have made it through make mine feel like nothing, as far as playing guitar goes. Thanks for the inspiration!
You bet! :D

Yeah I am playing acoustic with a buddy and about to play live and getting nervous myself that I'll botch it.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:47 am I had a cat bite me 5 times, and had to have my fret hand cut open several ways from sunday.
Bad kitty!
Winder

Post by Winder »

Different colors mean different material consistency. Works well even if you don't have a hand injury.

https://www.fab-ent.com/exercise/exerci ... utty/#3805
ampmike

Post by ampmike »

Hope your doing better. Got you 👍🏻🙏😊
Custom Built Amps for Sale!http://faithamps.weebly.com/
boots

Post by boots »

I quit playing guitar for about 10 years once, and it took me about a full year to get back to where I left off when I picked it up again. But it was all fresh and new again, and to this day it is really the one thing that keeps me somewhat sane. It does come back.
Don't you boys know any NICE songs?
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

Ken Moon wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:53 pm I haven't played guitar for more than 5 minutes for over a year now, due to my medical adventures.

Anybody else experience anything like this?
Wow Ken, I just now read this and didn't realize you were going through some hard times.

But, yeah, I had/have a very similar experience. A little over seven years ago I came down with meningoencephalitis - meningitis and encephalitis at the same time. I will never know what caused it. It was viral and could have been something as simple as the common cold that settled in my spinal cord and made its way up into my brain. I was in a coma, literally knocking on heaven's door. During my recovery I had to relearn to do a lot of things, like how to press the buttons on my smartphone, how to walk, how to type (still have trouble with that one) and guitar to some extent. (Thank GOD I still remembered who my wife and kids are!) I was able to play, but my sickness caused issues with the left side of my body, so my hand wasn't always doing what my brain was telling it to do. It would get there eventually, but never in time. Took several years before I finally feel like not only have I gotten my chops back to where they were before, but i think I am actually getting better at guitar again. Residually, I have chronic fatigue syndrome, so when I am exhausted - and it comes too often, I am a total mental and physical mess. I should be either dead or institutionalized due to not being able to care for my own basic needs, so I am thankful for being able to do what I can do.

But dude hang in there, keep at it, your brain is an amazing thing. They told me that I could expect to be the same after one year of recovery forever, but I am actually improving in some ways all the time. I've taken a lot of inspiration from your builds and insight over the years from both here and AX84.