Thanksgiving Warning

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rfgordon

Re: Thanksgiving Warning

Post by rfgordon »

Well, y'all, we came down to Beaufort, NC to see my dad, along with my sister's family from Jersey. Guess what? The oven's fubar, on the fritz, red-tagged, NMC (non-mission capable). And we've got this thawed out, 14 lb turkey in the cooler we brought with us. What to do?

A friend of my dad's called a friend who brought over the turkey frying system (TFS). So I looked up lots of info on the web. Gee, what a surprise--about 95% of the words have to do with not burning down your house!

Anyway, what all the websites leave out is how freaking long it takes to heat 4 gallons of oil to 350 degrees! So I'm sitting outside on my redneck bleachers (folding lawnchair) in front of the trailer park fireplace for 2 1/2 hours while it heats up! It's amazing how cold 45 degrees feels after a couple of hours.

So the bird goes in and fries for an hour.....and......tonner me chiens!

It had to be the best, most tender, juiciest turkey ever. And the ENTIRE skin was like salty, peppery, crispy work of edible art!

I'm sold on them Turkey Frying Systems! Gotta get one! The only question left is---can I wrap it in bacon first, then fry it?
Rich Gordon
www.myspace.com/bigboyamplifiers

"The takers get the honey, the givers get the blues." --Robin Trower
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

rfgordon wrote:Well, y'all, we came down to Beaufort, NC to see my dad, along with my sister's family from Jersey. Guess what? The oven's fubar, on the fritz, red-tagged, NMC (non-mission capable). And we've got this thawed out, 14 lb turkey in the cooler we brought with us. What to do?

A friend of my dad's called a friend who brought over the turkey frying system (TFS). So I looked up lots of info on the web. Gee, what a surprise--about 95% of the words have to do with not burning down your house!

Anyway, what all the websites leave out is how freaking long it takes to heat 4 gallons of oil to 350 degrees! So I'm sitting outside on my redneck bleachers (folding lawnchair) in front of the trailer park fireplace for 2 1/2 hours while it heats up! It's amazing how cold 45 degrees feels after a couple of hours.

So the bird goes in and fries for an hour.....and......tonner me chiens!

It had to be the best, most tender, juiciest turkey ever. And the ENTIRE skin was like salty, peppery, crispy work of edible art!

I'm sold on them Turkey Frying Systems! Gotta get one! The only question left is---can I wrap it in bacon first, then fry it?
Words spoken like a current or former AF or Navy Maintenance troop!!

Yup, it is damn good, much better than the oven.....

As for bacon, just shove it up the birds ass and fry away..... MMMMM BACON!

Ron
Last edited by Ron Worley on Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

Ron Worley wrote: ... MMMMM BACON!
Cooked right, it is the food of the gods 8) I like Kosher bacon the best :!:
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

rfgordon wrote:Well, y'all, we came down to Beaufort, NC to see my dad, along with my sister's family from Jersey. Guess what? The oven's fubar, on the fritz, red-tagged, NMC (non-mission capable). And we've got this thawed out, 14 lb turkey in the cooler we brought with us. What to do?
Kind of reminds me of a Thermodynamic test I had back in engineering school in the mid-80's. Went something along the lines of "How many times do you have to throw a turkey out of the 3rd story window, and let it smash into the sidewalk before it will be cooked due to the conversion of energy"? I believe my answer probably was along the lines of "there are not enough bananas to feed the monkey to climb the stairs or enough beer to drink while waiting for it to cook". :lol:

I think the true answer was only a few degree rise in temp was possible.

Take care,

John