YOU ALL NEED TO CALM DOWN!

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Re: YOU ALL NEED TO CALM DOWN!

Post by LeftyStrat »

I did kind of realize a scary thought. I've smoked at least a pack a day since I was sixteen. That's 38 years. So twenty times a day, times 365, times 38.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

LeftyStrat wrote:twenty times a day, times 365, times 38.

From Warren Buffett via WikiQuotes:

One of RJR's largest shareholders, he knew tobacco and liked it. "I'll tell you why I like the cigarette business," he said. "It costs a penny to make. Sell it for a dollar. It's addictive. And there's fantastic brand loyalty."

I heard a slightly different version, supposedly delivered to either an Altria (Philip Morris) stockholders or executive meeting : "You make something for a penny, sell it for a dollar, and sell it to addicts. What a great way to make a living."

Cigs killed my father and at least one of my grandfathers. My dad died with not one but two cigs in his hand. Struck by his final heart attack, the only solution he could think of was to light another Parliament. Now THAT is pathetic. My step mom found him nose down on the garage floor, long gone, kaput for a couple hours. And even that wasn't enough to get her to quit.

I got a little revenge by making money on PM (Altria) and other tobacco stocks. If you felt cynical enough you could too. Note Altria spun off Philip Morris as a separate company a few years ago, so that "bad news about tobacco" wouldn't depress Altria's stock price.
down technical blind alleys . . .
LeftyStrat

Post by LeftyStrat »

Today marks my two week anniversary.

I don't really have urges any more, I just have tendencies. "Time to go out for a... I don't do that anymore."

Leaving work, walking to the bus stop, "Wait, where's my lighter... oh I don't need one anymore."

Ballz of Steel!
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I talked to Lefty over the weekend. He was lucid and happy. He's not fooling.

:)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
LeftyStrat

Post by LeftyStrat »

Reeltarded wrote:I talked to Lefty over the weekend. He was lucid and happy. He's not fooling.

:)
Funny, the first solo recording I did (which I think I sold exactly one copy, to my mother) was under the name "Lou Syd Dreamer." I'm pretty sure she would vomit if she ever had to listen to it again.

My personal hell might be being forced to listen to it over and over. It reminds me of the Ed Wood movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109707/

Everything was, "That's a take!"

The board had switchable midrange, and I switched it every four beats on mix-down. Otherwise the three chords played over and over for seven minutes would have been boring. :D
LeftyStrat

Post by LeftyStrat »

The really sad thing I've learned is I actually don't have allergies, though I have suffered for years.

I started having severe hay fever attacks when I was ten. So bad I would have to go to the emergency room, with eyes swollen shut and restricted breathing.

That was the year my mother remarried and my stepfather was a cigar smoker.

It developed into an allergy of dust, my favorite spices, and eventually air itself.

Since I've quit I have no allergy symptoms. None. Nada.

I'm pissed that I have spent close to 40 years of my life suffering from a symptom caused by my own addiction. "Oh Bondage, Up Yours"
cbass

Post by cbass »

Way to go Lefty.
I quit smoking weed for about a month once.It wasn't very pretty.Kicking opiates and cocaine and uppers was easier for me.

I quit drinkin for about 18months one time thinkin bout takin a break again.
jestaudio

Post by jestaudio »

I quit 3 years ago with the aid of Champix, worked a treat for me after trying to go cold turkey any number of times, what helps in the UK is the tobacco ban in pubs and restaurants, at least until the Muppet that runs UKIP gets his way, still like a pint or 6 now and again especially as we get proper cask ales
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

jestaudio wrote:...what helps in the UK is the tobacco ban in pubs and restaurants, at least until the Muppet that runs UKIP gets his way, still like a pint or 6 now and again especially as we get proper cask ales
What no smoky pubs anymore? Do they still let dogs in? (I hope so) The smoking ban would be a plus for appreciating the finer points of those cask ales I'd think...
LeftyStrat

Post by LeftyStrat »

Today marks my one month anniversary. At this point I can't imagine ever starting again. I feel really good.
boots

Post by boots »

Hey congrats Lefty! It's never too late to quit. My mom quit in her 60's and was much better off for the next 20 years. I never liked the smell of cigs cuz of being around her second hand smoke my whole childhood. I quit smoking weed about 15 years ago, and haven't had any urges until just the past year. Now that it's somewhat legal in Colorado, I find myself thinking about it again. I guess the addiction never goes away.
Don't you boys know any NICE songs?
sepulchre

Post by sepulchre »

Way to go, Lefty! When I quit I got little urges for almost a year but nothing unmanageable. I pretty much quit drinking then too, made quitting the cigs Much easier. Now I can drink with no urge for a smoke at all, but I don't very often.

Keep it up, Pal! Ballz of Steel!!
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

I spotted this one in the news today::

The Food and Drug Administration issued a warning Tuesday that menthol flavoring in cigarettes induces young people to start smoking. That's not good. Cigarettes are like squirrels, they are completely harmless until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire.

Oh well.

Dan
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I had a girlfriend who tried to quit smoking whenever she had a drink she just had to have a cigarette. She just couldn't see the vicious circle she was in, she use to drive me crazy, I think I could handle withdrawal symptoms but I didn't like to see her fail at something really important like giving up cigarettes.

Keep up the good work!
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
LeftyStrat

Post by LeftyStrat »

Mark wrote:I had a girlfriend who tried to quit smoking whenever she had a drink she just had to have a cigarette. She just couldn't see the vicious circle she was in, she use to drive me crazy, I think I could handle withdrawal symptoms but I didn't like to see her fail at something really important like giving up cigarettes.

Keep up the good work!
Mark, that was key for me. I had to give up beer also. The upside is that combined with a better diet it has led to me losing 16 pounds.