RIP Ginger Baker

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Phil_S

RIP Ginger Baker

Post by Phil_S »

Front page news in this morning's NY Times. Old news by now. While I was saddened by the news, somehow I was not surprised. I often listen to music on youtube in the evening. Last night, for reasons I can't explain, I was listening the Cream and a bit of Blind Faith, too. This is not my usual fare because I find that music is too stimulating before going to sleep. When I saw the news this morning, I thought, "creepy." I consider myself fortunate to have been at Cream's last US show, 11/2/68 at Madison Square Garden. I was 16.

This many years later, memory isn't as crisp as I wish it was. Cream played on a revolving stage at center ice. I suppose the rotation speed was slow enough that the band could manage. I think they played damn near the whole catalog. It was LOUD. It was long. It was earth shattering. They worked hard. Of course, they played Toad. To this day, it is the only extended drum solo I can recall looking forward to. Man, could Ginger play. He was mesmerizing. He did things that no one else could or would do back in that era. I'm one lucky son of a gun to have seen this band. I still have the ticket stub.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Winder

Re: RIP Ginger Baker

Post by Winder »

Wow. Six bucks to see "The Cream"! Nice memory.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I love my Cream LP I got when I was a kid and still have all my records.

Mark
statorvane

Post by statorvane »

"Disraeli Gears" was a big time favorite in my youth, but for me it was hands down "Wheels of Fire".

Nobody drummed like Mr. Baker, played like Mr. Clapton or sang like Mr. Bruce. They were.... The Cream.
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

"Beware of Mr. Baker" is worth seeing.
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

telentubes wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:47 am "Beware of Mr. Baker" is worth seeing.
Yeah, that was a great documentary about a very disturbed man.