How to fix Mini Maglite 2 AA Battery Model?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Phil_S

How to fix Mini Maglite 2 AA Battery Model?

Post by Phil_S »

Here is what I have: https://zbattery.com/Anatomy-Of-The-Mag ... ght-Switch

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I know it's not an amp. At least it's electronic!

My ancient and beloved Mini Maglite suffered the dreaded alkaline battery leak. I took it apart and cleaned it but did not remove all the corrosion. Do I really need to give the tube a vinegar bath?

I was able to check for continuity from the center lug on the top battery to the inside wall of the tube with batteries loaded and got the beep. The bulb tests good for continuity. I don't understand why it won't light up. I am thinking it is something about the switch.

When I remove the head, bulb, and the plastic thing on top of the switch (#7 on the referenced web page,) I can expose the terminals for the bulb which are embedded in the switch. Doing this allows the switch to pop up and leaves the flashlight in the on position. With batteries installed, I can see 3VDC between the lamp terminals. However, the continuity test doesn't beep. If I insert the bulb directly into the exposed terminals that show 3V, it doesn't light up. How can there be voltage across the terminals without continuity?

I'd rather not pay for a new switch only to find it's not the solution. With postage, a new switch is half way to the cost of a new flashlight. Any advice would be appreciated!
Leo_Gnardo

Re: How to fix Mini Maglite 2 AA Battery Model?

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

I've found a problem area, especially after battery leaks, is where the spring at the bottom contacts the metal end cap. Removing the spring, scraping the area where it seats and the spring itself, often resolves a balky Maglite for me. Problems at the switch/bulb end, I've never been able to fix & had to scrap a few Maggies over the years :( .

FWIW I got a $25 2-pak a couple years ago at Home Despot - new LED Mags, one 2xAA and the other a 2xAAA. Bright as could be, and low battery consumption, but still have to smack 'em to get 'em to work sometimes, seems a common problem with this brand.
down technical blind alleys . . .
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Leo,
Thanks for the diagnosis. I cleaned up the spring as best I could without actually removing it. I feel certain I have good conductivity up to the switch, though in the tight spaces, I may have allowed myself to be misled. After sleeping on it, I'm feeling like the switch/bulb terminal unit is the problem. If you can't fix that, I'm sure that I can't either.

I don't always buy brand name batteries, but this time Duracell's leaked. I am going to call them and see if I can collect on their guarantee. I'll post results of that call :!:
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Well, this may or may not be of interest. I contacted Duracell. They wrote back with a questionnaire. That was answered on Friday. Today is Tuesday at 5:00 EDT. So, they've had 2 full days to "review" my answers. I suspect they sent my answers to Yossarian for review. He's decided to get even and I'm the one they chose for him. I'm sure that must be it. I"m still holding out hope they will replace my $12 flashlight and send me a fat package of batteries. Actually, one or the other would be significant reparations.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Phil_S wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:58 pm Well, this may or may not be of interest. I contacted Duracell. They wrote back with a questionnaire. That was answered on Friday. Today is Tuesday at 5:00 EDT. So, they've had 2 full days to "review" my answers. I suspect they sent my answers to Yossarian for review. He's decided to get even and I'm the one they chose for him. I'm sure that must be it. I"m still holding out hope they will replace my $12 flashlight and send me a fat package of batteries. Actually, one or the other would be significant reparations.
If Major Major is involved, it will get significantly worse.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
R,i,c,k

Post by R,i,c,k »

I caught that

As far as the mini mag goes, I've had to take the business end off one and the barrel of another to end up with one functioning unit after the same problem.

Just found a full size old mag lite and I couldn't get it open with two pair of pump pliers. Old batteries seem to make a good aluminum weld.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Chinese "Mag-Lite" - $12 (note: this can't be a US Made real Maglite if it costs $12)
(2) AA Batteries - $4
Phil's time and aggravation - $200
  • 20 minutes to find Contact Us email link
    2 days waiting for response
    Email to Duracell
    Aggravation and frustration dealing with Yossarian and waiting for a reply
    Cognitive dissonance expecting decent product support in this day and age
    One added business day for COVID penalty
This thread - $Priceless

Phil, I love you, man, but....seriously though, let me just PayPal you $12 to end the torment :lol:
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

:D heheheh

No let the torture continue!

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:53 pm :D heheheh

No let the torture continue!

~Phil
Hahah! Yes! I'm dyin' to hear what "Yossarian" has to say. Note that the quotes are hung quite sarcastically.
Koolaide

Post by Koolaide »

Somebody pass the popcorn, this is gona get good!
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Colossal wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:29 pm This thread - $Priceless
Phil, I love you, man, but....seriously though, let me just PayPal you $12 to end the torment :lol:
LOL, I want my pound of flesh! I want to make them pay!

Actually, there is something rather pleasing that I'm providing entertainment. I'm reasonably sure we could all do with more of that right now.
Last edited by Phil_S on Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koolaide

Post by Koolaide »

My kind of guy, a man with principals. I like it.
I mean after all it is 12 Washingtons, or 2 cups of coffee. :mrgreen:
NickC

Post by NickC »

Forget the "repair" kits Maglite sells. I've been through three of them and they're useless. Complete waste of money and time.

I don't buy Maglite brand any more. After dissecting them, and learning what flimsy garbage they are, I've moved on.

However, it is rumored that Milo Minderbinder has a workable repair kit ...... if you have something he wants to trade for. ;)
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Hey Nick, nice to see you around.

I haven't really decided what I'll do here. There's no replacing that 30+ year old Maggie without that time traveling DeLorean. Anyhow, the battery folks are sending me money!
Duracell.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Awesome! 8)

Funny, I was thinking yesterday...if your MagLite really is an old original (US Made), then it may have actually been twelve dollars, back in the day, but real quality! But when you said $12 Mag, I was thinking those shoddy outsourced ones you find at Depot now. Those are $12 for good reason :roll:

Many quality American brand names have been hijacked and degraded. The Pyrex brand which used to be very high quality, real borosilicate glass was purchased by World Kitchen many years back and promptly downgraded to lime soda glass. Just a big money grab. So people that don't know, still think they are getting real "pyrex" glassware, when in reality none of it is any better than a beer bottle.

Better days, gone by.