axe fx or not

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jezzbo

Re: axe fx or not

Post by jezzbo »

brewdude wrote:VVR stands for variable voltage regulator. It is used to lower the output volume by reducing the B+ voltage in your amp. It can be used to scale the entire amp, the PA and PI, or just the PA. It works really well. Dana Hall (ur12) is a very helpful guy.

http://www.hallamplification.com/main.html#2,2
Cool! Thanks for the link and explanation.
ER

Too loud...

Post by ER »

What's wrong whith music listeners today? I haven't played out for a decade now, are things that bad? Our city had a "disturbing the peace" ordinance of 106 Db, our drummer at a sound check was putting out 112 unmiked before the bass player and I where even plugged in. Every bar we played at we were asked not to come back because they couldn't take drink orders when we played. I think it finally sunk in when at one gig, the whole audience ended up out on the front sidewalk and were watching us through the window.

I think 35 watts is kind of the magic #; which would be a quad of EL84's, or a pair of cool 6L6's with small OP tranny. A pair of 10's or a single 12".

Just be glad you're not a drummer, I remember when I was a kid drumming, they would start out taking toms away, stuffing your bass drum to death, and then taking that away too, eventually you end up with hi-hat, a snare and a pair of brushes. Now it's all drum machines, those have volume knobs on them...

-ER
M Fowler

Re: axe fx or not

Post by M Fowler »

It depends totally on the gig, if it looks like a social club then they would prefer a DJ with one volume knob at low.

If it is a rowdy bar, street dance, birthday party, wedding dance, festival or anniversary, they like to party. I have been told so many times my leads are too low, and I was playing through a 90 watt amp (solid state amp). :oops:

I now use the tube amps I built the Rocket through 212 cab and K60 through a 212 cab, no pedals. I am heard now. :D

Mark