5e3 speaker

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

stretch2011

5e3 speaker

Post by stretch2011 »

Anyone try an wgs et65 in a 5e3?
I blew my vintage CTS :(. That thing ripped!
PaisleyTube

Re: 5e3 speaker

Post by PaisleyTube »

Didn't try that one in a 5E3 (I really like the Celestion Alnico Blue for those amps if loudness is required; for slightly less dB and a slightly warmer sound: get the C12N clone from WGS) but.....

Did try the ET65 in a '67 bf DR: kinda like the old/stock Oxford but without farting; my personal choice would also be the C12N clone from WGS (did use that for a dutch pro player in a '66 bf DR).
Chris
Love, peace & loudness!
pops

Post by pops »

Could have your original reconed, wouldn't sound the same for a while tho.
The world is a better place just for your smile.
stretch2011

Post by stretch2011 »

It would cost over $100 in the end for the recone. A new wgs is $65-75. Thanks for the replies I'll keep them in mind. Hmm et65 or Jenson clone.....hmmmm. if I could afford a alnico blue I'd buy it!
stretch2011

Post by stretch2011 »

Oh I found out why I blew it. It wasn't made for handling a guitar amp. It was the double cone CTS. But for the time it was the best sounding speaker I heard. Super warm and broke up just amazingly and pretty dang fast.
Jammin'John

Weber

Post by Jammin'John »

I'm lovin' a Weber Silver Bell in my 5E3 !
https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/silver12f.htm

JJ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Let's ride/Let's Jam
bcmatt

Post by bcmatt »

My 5e3 is a head and I use a 4k3 DC30 type OT with different secondaries to get it more accurate. But then I just use it with whatever speaker... but my head is less bright than most 5e3s I think...

Celestion Blue, WGS ET65, WGS Retro 30, Celestion Creambacks, etc.

The Blue is easily the nicest to me, for the character I would usually go for, but since I find my amp is not as bright as most, so that speaker puts the tone knob back in the middle. I imagine the WGS ET-65 isn't at all a bad match, but with my head, I would likely run the tone knob almost all the way up!
The ET-65 is just a speaker that seems to tame highs a lot more than most speakers.
Jammin'John

Up

Post by Jammin'John »

It's very cool to be able to turn your tone knob up on this amp because then you get more gain & sustain. Interactive controls !

JJ
Let's ride/Let's Jam
bcmatt

Re: Up

Post by bcmatt »

Jammin'John wrote:It's very cool to be able to turn your tone knob up on this amp because then you get more gain & sustain. Interactive controls !

JJ
True! I think I will try this amp with that cab this week. It took me till now to realize that cranking the tone isn't necessarily a bad thing... I was just thinking in terms of it being abnormal, and not having much more highs to work with...
I don't know what it is, but I subconsciously think controls should be around noon if everything is right.... but who cares!
Jammin'John

Scoop Mids

Post by Jammin'John »

With the interactive controls were you aware that if you turn the volume control up to around 2:00 on the channel that you are not plugged into that you will scoop the mids and get a cleaner and louder sound ?

JJ
Let's ride/Let's Jam
bcmatt

Re: Scoop Mids

Post by bcmatt »

Jammin'John wrote:With the interactive controls were you aware that if you turn the volume control up to around 2:00 on the channel that you are not plugged into that you will scoop the mids and get a cleaner and louder sound ?

JJ
Actually, I had heard about that. Haven't used it much though. It's very noticeable if I just crank the unused channel, but that seems to introduce a bit of background noise to the amp. I may experiment with other positions a bit more. It's not my main amp, but it still gets used a fair amount because it seems to play well in most situations... any guitar, any pedals, any speaker, etc.
stretch2011

Post by stretch2011 »

I love to bridge the #2 normal and #1 bright and plug into the #2 bright. Dime both channels, with the tone around 7. talk about a thump to the gut. If I am playing quieter ill have the bright channel volume on 4-5 and the normal channel on 6-7 to give me alittle more break up.
Teleguy61

Re: Scoop Mids

Post by Teleguy61 »

Jammin'John wrote:With the interactive controls were you aware that if you turn the volume control up to around 2:00 on the channel that you are not plugged into that you will scoop the mids and get a cleaner and louder sound ?

JJ
Hey JJ, didn't know you hung over here too.
See you on the Weber boards all the time.
Welcome!
Jammin'John

Thanks

Post by Jammin'John »

I stop by now & then.

JJ
Let's ride/Let's Jam