Vibrolux Reverb?

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

MakerDP

Vibrolux Reverb?

Post by MakerDP »

What is the consensus on these amps? There is one in the local pawn shop... original not reissue... 2x10... pretty good shape original speakers and footswitch. I didn't power it on but it has fairly new JJ tubes in it. Asking $1000 but he said he'd give it to me for $850.

Good deal or walk away?
xtian

Re: Vibrolux Reverb?

Post by xtian »

Possibly good deal. What year and condition? Will it need to be recapped and/or retubed?
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

yeah those are the questions the pawn shop guy won't be able to answer. I could play it and see how it sounds and go from there I suppose. It's a little too much power for my personal needs so it would have to be an investment or a quickish flip.

It is a silverface, cosmetically pretty darn solid (grille looks great and no major tolex issues) but it's missing the upper cross member in the back. Original footswitch is there, one of the reverb tank cables looks a little sketchy but that's an easy fix.

I'd rather not tie-up my money long term for something that I won't actually use... I think I'll hold out for a busted Hot Rod and put your board in it instead.

If anyone is interested, it's in Turlock at the pawn shop on West Main St.
SoK66

Post by SoK66 »

The answer is YES! But, pop it open first and look for hacks, bad tech work, etc. Even in pull boost Silverface spec these amps may be the best Fender ever made.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

It's not a collectors item, it's just a higher power 6L6 version of a Deluxe reverb with the lesser grade Utah speakers!
Myself I would sooner spend a bit more and get Blackface Super reverb kit and build that.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
gtomax

Post by gtomax »

As long as transformers are original (you can look without a screwdriver, just look in the back) 100% worth it get it and play it. No brainer
SoK66

Post by SoK66 »

Depending upon what it looks like inside, if it's original or close to it those can be desert island amps and they are Danny Gatton & Roy Buchannan approved. The speakers can stand an upgrade, and that era is helped by the addition of a bias adjust tweak, or conversion from bias balance to bias adjust. Not much else to do but enjoy. The blackface version goes for serious vintage coin.