Purpose of 30k 20w resistor on late SF amps

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

TonewolfAmps

Purpose of 30k 20w resistor on late SF amps

Post by TonewolfAmps »

Hi longtime lurker first time poster here. I was wondering if anyone could explain the purpose of the 30k 20w wire wound resistor on the end of the b+ rail to ground on the later Silverface amps particularly the Twin, 135w ultra linear amps. Is it there to lower voltage or maybe bleed the caps on the other side of the standby? Gets plenty hot just at quiescence.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xtian

Re: Purpose of 30k 20w resistor on late SF amps

Post by xtian »

Welcome to TAG!

The schematic shows that 30K resistor is dropping 410vDC to ground, so 14mV and 5.6 watts. Yeah, that's some heat! And it must drag the HT voltage down some, but I wonder if that's the design goal? It will also bleed the caps, but as you point out, it will only bleed the reservoir caps when the standby switch is closed.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

Downstream of the reservoir, the HT caps are 500V. Without that shunt resistor, if standby wasn’t used, the voltage across those caps would be likely to exceed that a fair bit for 30 seconds or so, until the tubes warmed up. Especially if the mains was at its upper limit.
TonewolfAmps

Post by TonewolfAmps »

I guess not the sexiest way to do that but understandable I suppose I'm sure electrolytic caps rated for that surge were huge and expensive. Id imagine they probably wouldnt fit under the cap doghouses they probably had a warehouse full of lol. Thanks for replying to my question.
I'll pay anything to get something for free!