5E3 adventure to begin!!!!

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Curranproducer

5E3 adventure to begin!!!!

Post by Curranproducer »

OK-

I am beginning to dig into the 5E3 circuit. I have not built one of these little darlings, BUT everyone keeps raving aboot them so why the heck NOT! I have been looking into the rob robbinette pages about mods and fun "tweak-ability" things that can be done to expand on this very favorite design. Aside from the more straight forward circuit mods I have been talking with some very snazzy session and industry guys here in my neck of the woods who IMMEDIATELY started asking for things that the original 5E3 did not have built into it. Spring Reverb, Tremolo, FX loop. These are the three things I had not really considered putting into a 5E3 for fear of going TOO far out from the "vibe' or "aesthetic" of what the 5E3 is. HOWEVER, I am a tone hound and gear nerd and love a flexible amplifier. My questions are then this.................I would actually look into putting a beefier 40/50 power transformer(classic tone 40-18029 PT) into this amp to be able to handle the tube FX loop, the tube tremolo, AND the tube driven spring verb. The OT would be the Classic Tone 40-18090(8k primary with multiple Ohm outs). Will this still be an awesome little 5E3 cathodyne PI sounding amplifier even with a PPIMV installed and all of these extra stages of tube drive? The FX loop I use is a very transparent and doesn't bring anything gain wise to the amps I have put it in. My plan is to make it a fixed biased power section with test points so I could put different tube sets into the power section for dumb tube tone fun. I don't like combo amps so this is going to be a short head(think old school sovtek sizes like the mig-50) building it all into a 17X8X3 hammond aluminium chassis and mounting the reverb tank to the front of the amp head shell like Marshall. Will I have noise issues with the reverb tank? I have NEVER done a spring reverb and I am very curious aboot any noise issues I may encounter...................
Curran

Owner of Custom Audio Mutation Recording Studio, Guitar/Amp/Pedal Repair, and Mod center in Akron Ohio
Devout Distortion Worshipper and fan of warm hugs
234-788-6141
brewdude

Re: 5E3 adventure to begin!!!!

Post by brewdude »

Sounds more like a Brown Princeton.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

I would strongly encourage you to post a schematic of what you are envisioning. IF you have NOT drawn one up yet, the exercise to do so will be useful to you & if you post a schematic, we can offer some thoughts and feedback that could be useful to you.

With respect, 10thtx
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Yeah sounds like a good theory, but put the schematic up and people here can tell you if something needs adjusting or won't work etc.

I saw your post on FB as well, I haven't built the classic 5e3 yet but did the tweedle dee deluxe and love it.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Here you go! Here's an editable ExpressSCH schematic for you to edit and easily modify to show us what you have in mind. ExpressSCH is a FREE download and very easy to use and intuitive.

IF you don't want a "one tube reverb" change it to the typical Fender style. Don't want a dual triode vibrato, change it to a single triode. Have another idea for an FX loop, easily modify this one.

Show us what you have in mind and how you'd have this schematic look. Provide a schematic & I think you'll get some feedback that you seem to be wanting on your idea.
I am interested in how you're going to set the topology up? Where will the reverb insertion point be? Will the FX be in series or parallel with reverb and before or after?

The B+ rail is shown on the 2nd page of the SCH file attached. The first page looks like the GIF attached.

With respect, 10thtx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Curranproducer

Post by Curranproducer »

awesome feedback(no pun intended) I will cobble together a schematic in the coming weeks and post it here for review!!! :D
Curran

Owner of Custom Audio Mutation Recording Studio, Guitar/Amp/Pedal Repair, and Mod center in Akron Ohio
Devout Distortion Worshipper and fan of warm hugs
234-788-6141
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Here is something else to consider if your wanting a modded 5E3. Its called the CJ11 made by Divided by 13 in California.
Its basically a 5E3 with a treble and bass control and a boost switch that adds a bypass cap on the 2nd stage.
You could easily add your reverb and tremolo to this circuit as well.
I attached the link to my build thread that has the schematic and a youtube demo of it as well.

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=30920

Cheers!

Guy
ChopSauce

(?) 5E3 reverb

Post by ChopSauce »

So no more thoughts about a 5E3 with a (one tube) reverb beyond the above schematic... :?: