Customized Princeton Build: Mods suggestions?

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

mirage_indigo

Re: Customized Princeton Build: Mods suggestions?

Post by mirage_indigo »

Heikki, that looks great! I really like the double fuses on the main board. What's the big miflex cap? Bias? I'm assuming it's paralleled with an electrolytic someplace? Also I greatly admire your KiCAD skills, I've been trying to learn it, but it's slow going. Did you just use the stock tube symbols?

HT, I'm doing the layout now, mostly on graph paper full size. I'll also reverse the alayout so I can go left rigth in a bottom head. I'm just gonna build one, so the full Drawn layout might be overkill. In my case, it's trying to figure out how to fit it all in the mojotone chassis with the big Solen plastic filter caps. The main schematic/circuit changes are the addition of a KOC split push pull reverb send, (which is a couple of Rs and Cs) and the master pot + grid stopper in the pre-PI and SS rectifiers. Most other changes are a cap or pot here or there. Everything else is more mechanical than electrical excursion from stock. I've built two other amps I cobbled together and my degree is in EE, so the circuit stuff is easy, it's the fabrication that's my challenge.

Right now I'm trying to put the preamp tubes right in the middle of the turret board, so the components are radial around a 1" passthrough hole in the board, so the leads can be very very short. The main reason I'm considering DC heaters is so I can hide the heaters under the circuit card without worrying about radiating 60hz up into the rest of the circuit running right above it.
We build because we must.
Heikki

Re: Customized Princeton Build: Mods suggestions?

Post by Heikki »

The big Miflex cap is the bias cap (C22). I happened to have one 10u Miflex polypropylene cap so I used it instead of the 22u electrolytic marked on the schematic.

I used the stock tube symbols for the schematic and the noval footprint for the pcb is this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.