Mojo Brownface amp 6G3

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ampmike

Mojo Brownface amp 6G3

Post by ampmike »

Compared to the 5e3,Sound wise anybody have any info on that circuit.Just wondering how much breakup or headroom compared to the 5e3.They did a great job on marketing that amp kit.Looks really cool,never played a 6G3 brownface.Thanks Mike
Custom Built Amps for Sale!http://faithamps.weebly.com/
Structo

Re: Mojo Brownface amp 6G3

Post by Structo »

Seems like the 6G3 Deluxe would be a cleaner amp with the long tail pair phase inverter.
Plus the bias wiggler bias.
So very different amps.

But I've never played one either so it is just a guess.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
lpd

Post by lpd »

Structo wrote:Seems like the 6G3 Deluxe would be a cleaner amp with the long tail pair phase inverter.
So very different amps.

Don't know about the Mojo but if it's anything like my original Brownface its a mean machine with not a lot of clean. There's some clean in the amp but it starts gritting up pretty quickly :)
David Root

Post by David Root »

The 6G3 also has high plate first stages, 220K/3K3, vs lo plate 100K/1K5 which makes a difference too. Not to mention fixed bias w/GNFB, an extra gain stage and 12AX7 first stage instead of 12AY7.

Higher voltages with the 5AR4 rectifier vs 5Y3. It can be a monster but if set up right can have a surprising amount of headroom and clean tone. If you like it dirtier change the rectifier to a 5R4, or if it's not unmolested change the PT to a lower HT and reduce the NFB.

I had a '62 that liked '50s RCA 6V6GTs rather than the WW2 RCA GT/Gs, which are THE s**t in the 5E3.
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

In case a higher headroom is desired, I would rather look at 6G6 model and scale it down. Bass channel specifically. Normal channel should retain quite similar character to 6G3. The other option would be to build the 6G6 as is :)
Niki
Jammin'John

Brownie

Post by Jammin'John »

My mini Marshall ! 8)
With an efficient speaker she's a killer club amp.

JJ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Let's ride/Let's Jam
ampmike

Thanks fellas

Post by ampmike »

lpd wrote:
Structo wrote:Seems like the 6G3 Deluxe would be a cleaner amp with the long tail pair phase inverter.
So very different amps.

Don't know about the Mojo but if it's anything like my original Brownface its a mean machine with not a lot of clean. There's some clean in the amp but it starts gritting up pretty quickly :)
Thanks for the info guys,I like that it gets dirty and breaks up.I was afraid it would be a typical fender clean and Ive got that covered.Im going to look around a bit more but the mojo stuff is good.I did a twin and a 5e3,marshall 18 and was very happy with all of it.Thanks for the replies,Mikey
Custom Built Amps for Sale!http://faithamps.weebly.com/
rynugz007

Post by rynugz007 »

I have an allen hot fudge w nuts, which is a 6G3 circuit. I've also had a 5E3. Tonally, they have lots of similarities. The 6G3 has a much tighter bottom and is quite a bit louder! Fixed bias, instead of cathode bias with the long tail phase inverter (like the blackface DR). Also the preamp section is way hotter. It gets dirty at about 2 on the dial. I F'n love the brown deluxe! Raunchy tweed midrange, thick blackface punch and some marshall dirt sprinkled over top!! It's delicious!

brown princeton is very cool too. Sits somewhere between the 5E3 and 6G3.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I scratch built that Hot Fudge w/Nuts and like the deep switch and soul control (NFB).

It's using a Hammond organ PT
Classic Tone 40-18038 OT
Hammond 156G choke