Hot Rod series +/-16V Supplies

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

DonMoose

Hot Rod series +/-16V Supplies

Post by DonMoose »

So, I know this problem has been solved to Fender's - and our - satisfaction by fiddling with dropping resistor values and by going to chassis-mount resistors. That didn't make me super happy, because I'm a feature creep.

I recently got hold of a Blues Deluxe (not a reissue) that has a big burned area around those stupid resistors. I works pretty well - the only operational issue is that the reverb doesn't work because the +16V supply is dead.

I'm going to try a pair of cheesy Zener+Bipolar linear regulators with TIP31 (NPN) and TIP32 (PNP) transistors in TO-220 packages screwed to the chassis with nylon shoulder washers and mica insulators.

The perf board is built and wired, and I'm cleaning up the board to take the new wires.

Will post how well this works.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stevem

Re: Hot Rod series +/-16V Supplies

Post by Stevem »

Why make it more than it needs to be, just two 16 volt or so Zener's ?
That circuit has plenty of a Verb even with only 14 volts!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
DonMoose

Re: Hot Rod series +/-16V Supplies

Post by DonMoose »

Stevem wrote:Why make it more than it needs to be, just two 16 volt or so Zener's ?
That circuit has plenty of a Verb even with only 14 volts!
I want to move the heat off the board, and I'd prefer not to have those rails draw more current than they're actually using.