Broad Tweed Question

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

brewdude

Re: Broad Tweed Question

Post by brewdude »

LedZepp007 wrote:Maybe I could ask a different question. Of the moderate to large tweed circuits, which ones had the nastiest overdrive when cranked:

Deluxe
Bandmaster
Bassman
Pro
Tremolux
Super
Twin (Low powered)

Thanks!
They are all too loud cranked... And they lose the magic if you neuter them with a master volume.
LedZepp007

Post by LedZepp007 »

brewdude wrote:
LedZepp007 wrote:Maybe I could ask a different question. Of the moderate to large tweed circuits, which ones had the nastiest overdrive when cranked:

Deluxe
Bandmaster
Bassman
Pro
Tremolux
Super
Twin (Low powered)

Thanks!
They are all too loud cranked... And they lose the magic if you neuter them with a master volume.
Fair enough. The PPIMV I had in my 18-watt was actually pretty effective. I have hated traditional MV amps though.

Which amp has the nicest overdrive when dimed?
robrob

Post by robrob »

The Bassman 5F6A is known for its overdrive tone. Mine is the best sounding amp I've ever played.

Have you considered a Deluxe Micro practice amp with a true Class A parallel dual triode power amp? https://robrobinette.com/Deluxe_Micro.htm

Or Bassman Micro with a self-split push-pull power amp? https://robrobinette.com/Bassman_Micro.htm
rp

Post by rp »

The browns are more focused rock nasty than the tweeds which have a more loose open blues distortion. For small nasty the 6G3, big nasty brown Concert or Super, feel free to use 12s. Then there's the blonde Twin...

Youtube Al Anderson of NRBQ to hear a brown Super in action.

It's impossible to not be happy with a 5F6A done up as a Bluesbreaker w/ 2x12s. Up the capacitance to a rockier middle ground 32/32 16/16, or more if you want it. Plug in a mojotone ss rectifier for more punch and focus. With little effort or money you can tweak your 5F6A from '50s blues rawnch to ripping late '70s punk. Other clones 5F4, 6G3, 6G4A are less malleable.

Off hand I'd say 5F6A or Brown Super big, 6G3 small. From past posts it's clear I think the 5F1 is the only tiny tube amp worth having. Running w/ 12s vs 10s isn't an issue, all work fine, just make sure you get the multitap OT for it.

So you been over to the Trainwreck files yet? :lol: