I Can't Stop! Check My Attempt?

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

LedZepp007

Re: I Can't Stop! Check My Attempt?

Post by LedZepp007 »

Thanks, thanks.

I'd rather build the 6G3. I'm just trying to practice understanding schematics and circuits.

Does my modified 6G2 look okay? I'm trying to better understand how to implement solid state rectifiers.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

The part number for those diodes is 1N4007.
If it was my amp I would use 4 Vishay brand UF5408 fast recovery type diodes to get the switching noise hash out of the power supply,if not atleast add a ciraimic .01 @ 1000 volt cap across each 1N4007 diode .
Also note that dropping the tube recto will add about 45 volts to the overall B+ voltage so you need to think about if your main filter has the needed voltage rating and the different sound the amp will have if atleast the preamp power supply resistors are not changed to keep the voltage near stock.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
robrob

Post by robrob »

I just noticed the 6G3 schematic doesn't show a cathode resistor. The standard would be a 250 ohm 5 watt.
LedZepp007

Post by LedZepp007 »

Thanks all for the help.

I got a little bored at work and drew a layout up for the single-channel, cathode biased 6G3. Not sure it's legible, but it's a try!

Other than using a nine-pin hole/socket, what all would I have to change on the design to use EL84's instead of 6V6s? Would I have to dramatically change the power supply or just a couple of voltage dropping resistors?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Teleguy61

Post by Teleguy61 »

LedZepp007 wrote:
sluckey wrote:I'd put a 250Ω/10W and 50µF cap on the cathodes of the 6V6s.
Like this?

Thanks for the help everyone!
But...but...there's an unused triode!
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Actually according to the layout there are two unused triodes. By relabeling V2 as V1B, he will only need two little tubes.
LedZepp007

Post by LedZepp007 »

In fact, there are two unused triodes. So, I could go with two AX7's, two 6V6's, and a GZ34.

I will have an extra space for another preamp tube. What about an EF86 channel?