6v6 Plexi with Hi and Low Inputs

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

JazzGuitarGimp

Re: 6v6 Plexi with Hi and Low Inputs

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

10thTx wrote:I built the Texas Raptor for my son. He liked the amp really well and the one tube reverb sounded great.

Just another Marshallish topology option with paralleled V1 and cathode biased.

Thing I liked about this amp design is that you could change between 6V6 to 5881's without having to re-bias anything.

The ExpressSCH schematic and layout are here:

http://www.el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=2442.0

With respect, 10thtx
Hi 10thTX,

Could 5881's also be dropped directly in to a 5E3? IIRC, I have about 400V on the plates and a 250R in the cathode circuit. My guess is this will bias 5881's a bit on the hot side.....

Thanks,
Lou
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

The PT will need to have ratings for heater current draw and tube current of course.

I have two amps currently: Tweed BluezMeister and a D'Mars OD Special. They are both cathode biased and have tube rectification.
I can use 6V6 or 5881 in either using a 330R/10w cathode resistor.

In fact, the D'Mars can use 6K6's with 5Y3GT, 6V6's with 5V4 or 5881 with GZ34. That gives me some nice tonal options by just changing rectifiers and power tubes.

With respect, 10thtx
steve_p

Post by steve_p »

So, finally got my faceplate material in today.
I did a test run and it came out pretty good. My lettering is slightly off center, but I'll fix that for the next go-around.

Material is your standard marshall-style reverse engraved plexi. Lettering is backfilled using a paint marker. I think it looks pretty good.

Picture attached.

I finished drawing up my chassis and will probably send it off the fabricator this week. It basically is a 50W plexi chassis, only with cutouts for 18W sized transformers.

I can't wait to get started on this build.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
billyoung

Post by billyoung »

in old days techs would take a 50 watt head and rebias for 6v6's just a matter of altering bias supply resistors, I ran a jc800 with 2 6v6's and 2 el84s for a demo to a player, i did use external bench supplies etc to make it quick.

billyoung606060 at gmail dot com
statorvane

Post by statorvane »

Really nice faceplate. I did not see anything off-center.