Marshall 4150 guts

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

kevania

Marshall 4150 guts

Post by kevania »

A couple oddball features: (some not visible in pictures)

1) fuse party,
2) parametric midrange,
3) lame compressor
4) no 16ohm speaker tap
5) 2 preamp/pi tubes rather than the usual 3
6) board mounted pots (This one is a 1980!)

See any others?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kevania

Re: Marshall 4150 guts

Post by kevania »

Oh yeah, it has 3 input jacks: Normal, Bright and "Stereo". Ha!
TimmyP1955

Post by TimmyP1955 »

Funky, but it looks as though it would not be a PITA to repair, which is what I worry about most. How's it sound?
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

TimmyP1955 wrote:Funky, but it looks as though it would not be a PITA to repair, which is what I worry about most. How's it sound?
Easy to fix .....the bank of fuses are usually in Canadian amps along no 16ohm tap and red silkscreen on the back....but those transformers sound very very good.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Holly crap are those preamp cathode,grid and plate wires long, I can't belive that does not have some kind of oscillation issue going on?!
Not a shielded wire in sight!

Are those black metal oxide output screen resistors original?

Talk about retubing cost, how about a re-fusing cost, lol!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
kevania

Post by kevania »

TimmyP1955 wrote:Funky, but it looks as though it would not be a PITA to repair, which is what I worry about most. How's it sound?
It sounds decent but not magical. Wide open it has a Rocky Mountain Way kind of vibe with a guitar.
kevania

Post by kevania »

Cameron wrote:
Easy to fix .....the bank of fuses are usually in Canadian amps along no 16ohm tap and red silkscreen on the back....but those transformers sound very very good.
I'm glad you mentioned the Canadian angle because I hadn't been thinking about that. I am not that familiar with the Canadian variations. The factory bias circuit was set for el34's.
kevania

Post by kevania »

Stevem wrote:Holly crap are those preamp cathode,grid and plate wires long, I can't belive that does not have some kind of oscillation issue going on?!
Not a shielded wire in sight!

Are those black metal oxide output screen resistors original?

Talk about retubing cost, how about a re-fusing cost, lol!
It's quiet as a church mouse. On my 4104 the only shielded wire is on v1. This 4150 has a lot less preamp gain with only 2 12ax7's vs 3 on the 4104. Also, with the input jack and gain pot being pcb mounted the first gain stage connection is much shorter.

The BMOR's are factory.

Yeah, I've never seen a fuse arrangement like this and quite frankly don't see the necessity. A simple Mains and HT arrangement seems to work for every other amp! Having said that, I'll probably leave it intact when do a build.
BIG Dave

Post by BIG Dave »

I do not believe Marshall used different OT's so there should be a 16 Ohm wire hiding somewhere. Probably just not hooked up. I had a JCM900 that had a two way switch labelled 8 ohms and 4 ohms. There was a 16 ohm wire inside the chassis taped off. I unsoldered the 4 ohm wire from the switch, taped it off, and soldered on the 16 ohm wire where the 4 ohm wire was attached. I then had a 8 / 16 ohm output switch which I found to be more useful. Come to think of it, I probably should have put a Dymo label over the "4 OHM" on the back of the amp before I sold it....
BIG Dave: '63 Princeton, '67 SFDR, '68 Marshall 4x12, '71 Marshall JMP50, etc...
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

BIG Dave wrote:I do not believe Marshall used different OT's so there should be a 16 Ohm wire hiding somewhere. Probably just not hooked up. I had a JCM900 that had a two way switch labelled 8 ohms and 4 ohms. There was a 16 ohm wire inside the chassis taped off. I unsoldered the 4 ohm wire from the switch, taped it off, and soldered on the 16 ohm wire where the 4 ohm wire was attached. I then had a 8 / 16 ohm output switch which I found to be more useful. Come to think of it, I probably should have put a Dymo label over the "4 OHM" on the back of the amp before I sold it....
No... its just a Canadian Marshall. Only 4 and 8 taps in these Canadian amps. Great sounding transformers though.
kevania

Post by kevania »

I haven't checked for an extraneous 16ohm tap and am glad you mentioned it. If it isn't there, I'll just use it as an excuse to run 2 cabs....hehe.