Where to place carbon comps

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dynaman

Re: Where to place carbon comps

Post by dynaman »

hired hand wrote::oops: :oops:
Yeah, I'm embarrassed. For most resistors on the board, I use those carbon film components that cost 15 cents a piece. They do not seem to be noisy or problematic. But some of you guys have been doing this A LOT longer than I have.....
Wow, big spender. I'm partial to the 6 cent metal films.
billyz

Post by billyz »

I have a bunch of AB and Stackpole CC resistors, But I find the generic ones from CE just as good. I use them Everywhere but the power supply, as quiet as MF in a guitar amp. The speaker limits the frequency response to the point that you are getting much above 12-14k. In a hifi rig I would use some super resistors like Tantalum, though. http://www.hificollective.co.uk/compone ... stors.html

I have found just as many noisy MF, CF, as CC like on the plate load.
8)
ApexJr.

Post by ApexJr. »

M Fowler wrote:I have some NOS CC resistors unsure what brand they are, where is best place to get AB or comparable quality brands of CC resistors?
Mark....
I have a good stock of carbon comp resistors in 1/8W, 1/4W, 1/2W,
1W, and 2W in all brands, mostly allen bradley.

Steve @ Apex Jr.
rp

Post by rp »

In case anyone isn't aware, the all the new cc's I've come across all have short thin leads like mfs/cfs. Something to keep in mind if doing ptp or using terminal strips or even tag/turret boards copying old style dimensions.

If anyone knows of current production ccs with long leads please post it.

I've noticed the same thing as Billyz, that cc's don't add any more noise than mfs, except maybe a tiny touch more 'rush' which is part of the charm of tube gear. If old amps made noise it was a combination of things including age not the ccs.

Good to know about Apexjr.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Steve, I was just looking at our carbon comp resistors last night too funny!

I should call you and discuss this and put a kit of each value of 1/2 watt cc resistors together for me probably 10 count each value or at least 5 count on the minimum.

Mark
ApexJr.

Post by ApexJr. »

I'll look forward to your call....

http://www.apexjr.com/images/APEXJRABCA ... STORS1.jpg

Steve
Dai H.

Post by Dai H. »

dunno about the mojo business but Allen-Bradleys sure look cool

8)
David Root

Post by David Root »

Ohmite is a very old and in its day respected US brandname, BUT, I have no idea who owns that brand name now. The old Ohmite carbon comps should be good.

The name was used on Allen Bradley RV4 2W pots in the '60s and those I believe are identical with the A-Bs. Perhaps A-B made carbon comps for Ohmite as well as the pots?? This stuff is lost in the mists of time, unfortunately.
Roe

Post by Roe »

the alphas sounds quite good, at least in plexis. they have a warm CC sound
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
FYL

Post by FYL »

Ohmite is a very old and in its day respected US brandname, BUT, I have no idea who owns that brand name now.
Ohmite was bought by Heico Companies LLC in '98 and their manufacturing activities transferred to Matamoros, MX.
james21789

Post by james21789 »

Will I be able to get away with 1/2 W resistors on the plates of the gain stages of a d-style amp? I just ordered some Riken resistors and want to make sure my purchase was not in vain!

-j
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

1/2W CC's are typically rated for 350V continuous. Just make sure the overall voltage drop across the plate resistors is less than that value.
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
james21789

Post by james21789 »

thanks for the info cliff

-j
Structo

Post by Structo »

Yeah, that was something I hadn't thought about when I got back into tube amps.
The max voltage through a resistor.

If you take a 220K plate resistor and drop 200v on it that is only 182ma or less than 3/16 watt.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
renshen1957

Post by renshen1957 »

FYL wrote:There are no subjective differences between all quality vintage CC resistors - AB, IRC, Ohmite, Stackpole, TRW, you name it. I use what's available in my bins for restorations and don't care about the brand as long as it's the same type of R.

Modern versions from Xicon and others are better built and behave in a somewhat more linear fashion.
Behaving in a more linear fashion may not be what you want for a guitar amp. You want the distortion in the old school CC resistor, not found in the same quantity in the Xicons.

Just Radios in Canada has some very good CC resitors made in America (the ones with the higher voltage rating).

Best Regards,

Steve