Ry Cooder's Borderline Special

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

boldaslove6789

Ry Cooder's Borderline Special

Post by boldaslove6789 »

Was surfin the net and finally found a pic of the back of Ry Cooder's Borderline Special. Never seen a pic of the rear of the chassis so maybe it can shine some light on it. It's clearly a very unique amp.

Very cool amp BTW.

Here's a link of what the amp sounded like BTW (can be see behind him):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OIgZQj1 ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6efQ_GyQW3o
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ToneMerc

Re: Ry Cooder's Borderline Special

Post by ToneMerc »

This one is next on my list.

TM
Structo

Post by Structo »

A larger pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
tubedogsmith

Post by tubedogsmith »

I wonder if that was a German finished amp or a domestic one with the tolex removed?
guitarjazz

Post by guitarjazz »

I worked at a NAMM show in Anaheim in the 80's. James Demeter had the booth next to us. He's a super-nice guy and works on Ry's amps (or did back then). He introduced me to Ry at the show, which was cool.
James told me that Ry was so pissed off about dealing with HAD that he smashed his amp on HAD's driveway on delivery. Maybe he had a change of heart?
ampman1961

Post by ampman1961 »

This amp was photographed here in my shop. Just about all of the photos you will find of this amp up close were taken here. Ry did not really like this amp and although Alexander did try to please Ry, he never felt inclined to use it much afterward. It languished in his storage facility for decades until he decided to help finance his son's (Joaquin) recording career, so he had it sold through a prominent dealer of entertainment memorabilia who happens to live across the canal from me. I had it in my shop to repair one of the function switches on the front panel. While it was here, I allowed my good friend who is a member here to photograph it to share with all of you.
I post this just to make sure some facts are straight. I have heard some rather untrue assumptions about this amplifier and wanted to make sure everyone knows this. I have over 100 photographs of it and I am pretty sure I documented the schematic and shared it, along with some practical notes with a very close friend and associate here who is one of the foremost builders of Dumble type amplifiers.
As far as tone, it sounded okay and isn't my favorite Dumble that's graced my shop, but it was (is) a Capable amplifier, meaning it needed to be re-capped and a few minor modifications to open up the tone a little.
Still, it was quite a trip to have that amp in my hands for a week. Historically it is significant and helps to trace the lineage and development of Alexander's building journey. With the right tweaks, this amplifier can be a monster. As far as I know, the amplifier was never covered and finished "Au Naturale" and has a certain cool 70's vibe to it. The cabinet work is average but it does the job. I do not know who ended up with it and it's likely we will not ever see it surface again.
Have fun.
Billy Yates
"Life is too short for Solid State"
www.redjonesamplification.com
ampman1961

Post by ampman1961 »

I am also responsible for #124 and 224 being shared to the world.
Thanks.
talbany

Post by talbany »

Gil
Shared all those pics here in his Photobucket account

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... borderline

The amp is a Low plate Classic 50w straight up..Look Here

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12872

Thanks Billy for all you have contributed here.. I wondered how that thing sounded!!
BTW..Billy did that amp sound better to you with a Strat (single coils) or Buckers..Wondering?

Tony
Last edited by talbany on Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
ampman1961

Post by ampman1961 »

Tony
You're welcome, and thank you.
Gil is one my dear friends and quite the gentleman and terrific guitarist.
I am glad the photos saw the light of day for others to enjoy. I have a perfect chassis for this build awaiting my time to dive into it. I am building a 100 watt version with reverb, as a combo. I am also consulting with another 100 watt combo from that era to possibly share here. It's a low serial number. I documented another 80's ODS that still belongs to another great LA guitarist that turned down Joe Bonamasa's 50K offer. Possibly the best Dumble I have ever played through, even better than 124. It helps when you have the actual matching cabinet to make tonal comparisons! That thing SINGS!!!! Jesus!
Gil may have already shared those photos too, I'll have to ask him.
Stay tuned...
;)
talbany

Post by talbany »

ampman1961 wrote:Tony
You're welcome, and thank you.
Gil is one my dear friends and quite the gentleman and terrific guitarist.
I am glad the photos saw the light of day for others to enjoy. I have a perfect chassis for this build awaiting my time to dive into it. I am building a 100 watt version with reverb, as a combo. I am also consulting with another 100 watt combo from that era to possibly share here. It's a low serial number. I documented another 80's ODS that still belongs to another great LA guitarist that turned down Joe Bonamasa's 50K offer. Possibly the best Dumble I have ever played through, even better than 124. It helps when you have the actual matching cabinet to make tonal comparisons! That thing SINGS!!!! Jesus!
Gil may have already shared those photos too, I'll have to ask him.
Stay tuned...
;)
Billy
Thanks for the insight.. I've built both Classic's and 2n'd Gen amps in the 100w and LOVE them both (especially Strats)Good luck with the build and keep your honest and informative post's coming.. :wink:

All The Best!!

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
Chad

Post by Chad »

Thanks for all the info and pics Billy,you and Gil have giving so much to this community and have opened up so much Dumble info, I wish I could give back 1/10th of what you two gentleman have given here.A million thanks and please keep it coming if you would. Chad
ayan

Post by ayan »

Indeed you are, and to this day I say that having the pictures shared here with the rest of the world was the single most important contribution ever made as far as this whole Dumble thing is concerned. Being able to see that amp simply changed my life, and I firmly believe it changed many people's lives as well. So kudos to you again, my dear friend Billy! I miss you and I look forward to seeing you soon.

Cheers,

Gil
ampman1961 wrote:I am also responsible for #124 and 224 being shared to the world.
Thanks.
steve_p

Post by steve_p »

ampman1961 wrote:I am also responsible for #124 and 224 being shared to the world.
Thanks.
Billy,
Thanks for all that you have done, sharing all the valuable amp info.
Just out of curiousity, do you have any more info on #224?
I don't believe i've ever seen it mentioned here.

Thanks,
Steve
Teleguy61

Post by Teleguy61 »

Many many thanks to all of the above.
Your input certainly changed my view of amps permanently.
dreric

Post by dreric »

Billy / Gil

Thanks again for all your contributions.

224???????
Eric
1949 Zenith, Zenith Toggle Recoil, Zenith 55 & 440