What makes an Acoustic guitar amp an acoustic guitar amp....

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

surfsup

Re: What makes an Acoustic guitar amp an acoustic guitar amp....

Post by surfsup »

I have a couple extra EL84s been wondering what to do with. Think I'm going to do this ... should be fun!
rp

Post by rp »

I alway wondered what happens if you just plug your acoustic pre-amp box into something like a Dynaco MK3? Of course too you'd have to find a cab that mates right, I'd probably go w/ an EV or Altec in a Thiele as a first try (if I had one.) Anyone ever do it - use a hifi tube amp? I know, just too cumbersome, heavy, and pointless in 2012 but I'm still curious. I bet the 3D & dynamics would kill.

Didn't Garcia do something like this but w/ electric: Twin Rev pre diverted into gigantic MacIntosh into that super clean mega PA of theirs?
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

Bose have their astonishingly expensive L1 system, which works great with acoustic instruments. Love it, can't afford it.
xtian

Post by xtian »

While we discussing solid state alternatives… I use a pair of Mackie SRM 450 monitors, and play a Larivee jumbo.

Now, back to TUBE amps!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
echuta13

Post by echuta13 »

These Celestions are on clearance right now and they are used in TraceElliot acoustic amps: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=299-416

http://www.traceelliot.com/acousticamps/

Might be a really nice/economical way to outfit an amp with a quad of these :P
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

I have zero experience with building an acoustic amp, but I can share the experience of a couple of acoustic guitarists. Open backed cabs cause a lot of feedback problems. Closed back cabs are better.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

Mostly it is the ability to reproduce the signal I distorted at high volumes. This where the debate starts. With the first sentence holding true the best acoustic guitar amps would be solid state. And from a matter of fact point of view they probably are the best option. Though once you add the human ear and the fact that most acoustic pickups leave a lot to be desired vacuum tube technology becomes more appealing to help shape the tone and smooth out the brittle top end. Acoustic amps benefit from a more indepth equalizer circuit as well offering precision tone shaping be it a parametric eq, multiple fixed traditional tone stack, or a graphic. They also tend to offer buffered / active inputs to except the impedance loads of piezo and tone shaping preamps. Xlr inputs as well as 1/4" in and outputs. The better sounding amps make use of small diameter speakers using multiples to provide the area of cone to move air. I.e. 4x8" or 6x4" Going back to a solid state power amp, surprisingly not a lot of tube output stages.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
echuta13

Post by echuta13 »

I'm wondering if the presence/resonance sticky here might be of benefit in an acoustic tube amp? I've thought about buiding an acoustic amp, but not for very long...
Where the wondering comes in is would the presonance control be enough to help knock down feedback? :?
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
rp

Post by rp »

$8 :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: Wish I was in the States I'd get 4 just for shits and giggles and stash them away for when I'm really bored and build myself an acoustic tube amp. BTW so would you connect something like this in series like an old Bassman to make it act more like one big driver? Do you need to think about hi-pass filters or crossovers?
Last edited by rp on Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rp

Post by rp »

oops got debug and kept hitting.
Last edited by rp on Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rp

Post by rp »

nt