Small Special

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

lovetone

Pots

Post by lovetone »

Jelle

Did you use 500K pots for both the bass and treble controls?

Cheers
Synchu

Re: Small Special

Post by Synchu »

I've just completed the build of this one (a 50W version) and can confirm that this is an amazingly great sounding amplifier.
What stroke me, since it has been mentioned quite a few times that this is a clean amp, is that when cranked Vol and Level/Master at 3/4 it does have nice and juicy overdrive especially with a Les Paul Guitar.
I have some samples/photos and a draft layout and if anyone is interested can post them (I am not sure whether would be appropriate to do that in Jelle's thread though).

Now wondering if adding alla SSS filters for further tone shaping or even post PI driver will make an interesting variation?
Any thoughts?

With many thanks to the ampgarage community for all the wealth of information I had the fortune to find here,
Niki
lovetone

pots

Post by lovetone »

That’s good to hear, I’ve started building but not had much time to get on with it. What value pots did you use for the Bass and treble? I was going to use 250K for both.

Also did you add the mid control?
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Synchu wrote:
Now wondering if adding alla SSS filters for further tone shaping or even post PI driver will make an interesting variation?
Any thoughts?
Niki, I added a mid control and CF driver pushing two Kt88's, kind of like a SSS slim!

TM
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

Synchu wrote:I've just completed the build of this one (a 50W version) and can confirm that this is an amazingly great sounding amplifier.
What stroke me, since it has been mentioned quite a few times that this is a clean amp, is that when cranked Vol and Level/Master at 3/4 it does have nice and juicy overdrive especially with a Les Paul Guitar.
I have some samples/photos and a draft layout and if anyone is interested can post them (I am not sure whether would be appropriate to do that in Jelle's thread though).

Any thoughts?

With many thanks to the ampgarage community for all the wealth of information I had the fortune to find here,
Niki
I'd like to see your build and think you should start a new thread about it with plenty of pics. :)

Ever since seeing Jelle's build, I've been interested in doing one of these. Very simple and powerful. I also have some of the same CDE brownies to do one with. 8)
stevlech

Post by stevlech »

Cheers on the build. I think it would be great if an owner of one of these amps would post clips so the forum geeks could hear what this circuit sounds like. :D :D :D
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

Thank you all.
Then I'll open a new thread when I get to a computer tomorrow and post what I have ( including my poor playing :) ).

Lovetone- I used 500kA as per the schematic.

ToneMerc - I have a hole drilled for the Mid pot and pot installed, but not yet wired, since I wanted to hear what comes out from the circuit as is, but feel more intrigued by having another tube into it :) What does it sound like now?

Niki
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

alvarezh wrote:Ha, ha, nice one Jelle, another of your Masterpieces with values completely different than the schematic! :D

Got the message: build and experiment!

I fully understand your position, no hard feelings on this side. :wink:

Thanks anyways.

@Chris: The values on the schematic seem like they were measured directly from the components, that for the resistors and voltages at least. But the NFB most likely be 930 ohms, right? We'll just have to experiment!

Nice catch.

All the best guys.
the NFB goes to the vol control !!
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

Congrats on the build!!! Can't wait to see the pics.
jelle

Post by jelle »

Sorry to be late, rough summer. I used 500K, correct.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

Interesting that there doesn't seem to be any grid stopper resistors with V1 on the Small Special, unless they're covered by the heat shrink on the ends of the shielded cables. How does this affect the tone in your opinion, Jelle?
- Matt J.
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Maybe on the jacks Fender style.
CW
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

Charlie Wilson wrote:Maybe on the jacks Fender style.
CW
That is a possibility! I can't tell from Jelle's photos, or the photos of the original.

Had a big box of parts come in the mail just yesterday too that I'm going to use for my own Small Special build. I'm going to try to test their values and do some measurement to make sure they are correct, and do some layout tracing on the blank circuit board material once I get home from work!

- Matt J.
jelle

Post by jelle »

No grid stoppers as per pics of original I worked off.
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

So Jelle, not this photo?
CW
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.