Rustling noise help

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jelle

Re: Rustling noise help

Post by jelle »

Ok, that means the source of the noise is after the grid of V2B.

I still think that the Reverb Mixer grid circuit is doing this. See my previous posts.

Pull V1 and V4 and report back.

:D

If it is quiet then, well...then you have soldering to do.

jelle
bluesguitar

Post by bluesguitar »

jelle wrote:Ok, that means the source of the noise is after the grid of V2B.

I still think that the Reverb Mixer grid circuit is doing this. See my previous posts.

Pull V1 and V4 and report back.

:D

If it is quiet then, well...then you have soldering to do.

jelle
Something new. With V1 and V4 removed I had to dime my volume to hear anything. All was silent until I produced a signal (strummed guitar). Then I would get a buzzing static. No signal, no static. This is the first time a signal changed the sound. With V4 in there was a constant rustling/static at idle, but playing guitar did not change this. Seemed like normal tone from the signal.
jelle

Post by jelle »

Ok, so we can now conclude that the issue is between V2 and V4.

I would get the spraycan with compressed air out to see if it is an issue with a resistor or cap.

Otherwise, I would think it is the board. Good luck!
bluesguitar

Post by bluesguitar »

jelle wrote:Ok, so we can now conclude that the issue is between V2 and V4.

I would get the spraycan with compressed air out to see if it is an issue with a resistor or cap.

Otherwise, I would think it is the board. Good luck!
How does that work? Do I spray the solder joints? What am I looking for, and how do I know if something is good or bad?
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

The stem is inserted for control. Get real close to each component and press the button. Turn the can upside down until a very little freon hits the component. Practice that motion to get good at it before you go crazy.

After checking components hit every joint along the signal path there except NOT the tube sockets.

You'll know when you hit the problem. It will do what it's doing now times 10.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
jelle

Post by jelle »

LOL! Exactly.
bluesguitar

Post by bluesguitar »

Reeltarded wrote:The stem is inserted for control. Get real close to each component and press the button. Turn the can upside down until a very little freon hits the component. Practice that motion to get good at it before you go crazy.

After checking components hit every joint along the signal path there except NOT the tube sockets.

You'll know when you hit the problem. It will do what it's doing now times 10.
Thanks. Maybe a day until I can get to it, but will do and update.
bluesguitar

Post by bluesguitar »

Update: Did the compressed air test on the components and solder joints in the V2 and V3 circuits. Could get no indication of a problem. There is a youtube video titled "Fender amp twin reverb conductive board" that demonstrates that particular problem. I tried it again to see if I could get a similar sound with my amp. I could not. I could not produce any of the "static element" that he could on the video. You can follow the thread on that video for more info. So, will keep plugging away to try and find the cause of the rustling/static.
jelle

Post by jelle »

Sorry to hear you have a hard time locating the source. I wish you were local... Good luck, jelle