Winding 30W Amp Transformers

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

katopan

Re: Winding 30W Amp Transformers

Post by katopan »

Thanks Chad. I'm keen to hear these in an amp but that will be quite a while away. Hopefully I can make a start on the amp build soon but I've got a bit of layout planning to do first.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Oh.. have to travel to another continent to mine ore? lol ;)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
katopan

Post by katopan »

Ha ha. Mining's almost all we got left here in Oz unfortunately.
katopan

Post by katopan »

Am winding another set... Exactly the same OT, 30W, 6K6 primary, 4/8/16 ohm secondary taps. Same spec on the PT but without all the secondary HT taps (just 300-0-300V this time) and a bigger core to run cooler.

The set this thread was about is for my Express. This second set is for a 30W blues harp amp.

Oh, and I've worked out a solution to the problem I've had with every other wind where the thin primary wire falls off the ends into my winding margins. Using very light tension certainly helped and I can see with an automatic guide it wouldn't move. But by hand it's very hard to place the second turn right next to the first turn without either leaving a gap or pushing the first turn over a bit, and then it falls across into the winding margin. Well, superglue is my friend. I've heard of people taping the first turn into place, but that adds to the thickness and creates a step when you get to the edge of the tape. A drop of superglue tacks the wire into place and I can gently tension the second turn up against the first. I'm pretty confident this will be the first time I will still have nice neat winding on the very last layer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
katopan

Post by katopan »

Been a long time but here is the amp my home wound transformers ended up in. I've still got to finish wiring it up so I don't know what it sounds like yet. But externally all done!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by katopan on Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
katopan

Post by katopan »

And all put together....
Tillydog

Post by Tillydog »

'Shinkansen' - love it! :)
oldepicker

wow!

Post by oldepicker »

Nice Kato!

But ya bastid, you now have me wanting to be a tranny winder too! I thought I could stop with design, chassis punching, cab assembly, and board making, but NOOOOO, Kato's gotta put a tranny thread up and entice me into thinking I can do that too!
Man, I have nothing but admiration for a guy like you (and many of us here at TAG!), who says... "Shit, I can do that", then does it... AND thinks of his fellow Forumites and posts such a fantastic, comprehensive guide to rolling your own... THANK YOU KATO!!!
I'm STILL too loud???
Structo

Post by Structo »

Cool looking amp!

Glad you were able to use your home rolled trannys. :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Soundclips ?
katopan

Post by katopan »

Thanks guys.

oldepicker - Just payin' it forward. Seeing someone elses pics and info on winding along with wondering how it was done was what inspired me to have a go. Only fair that I do the same for others. :wink: :lol:

tubedude - As I said above I haven't finished wiring it yet so I haven't even heard it for myself.

It's an Express with a tagstrip layout and different transformer placement. It also has multiple HT taps off the PT, five switches for switching between octal and noval mode (tap selection x 2, screen sag resistor, feedback resistor and preamp power chain) and an extra set of noval power valve sockets. Allows for plugging in and switching for a quad of 6P1Ps as well as the usual EL34s and 6V6s. If it doesn't turn out to be a squealing pile of unstable mess I'll write up a thread and post some clips.
Last edited by katopan on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

You are so silly and that is absolutely rediculous!!

:)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.