SD60 build completed! Clip...

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

memphis032

Re: SD60 build completed! Clip...

Post by memphis032 »

Thoughts on switchable master volumes - just replacing the master with parallel switched pots will result in volume jumps on reverbs/delays/loops, so putting something before the FX loop makes sense...

Given that the clean channel is quieter than the drive channel, an adjustable boost would be simplest and would be reasonably intuitive to use. How about a 1M pot wired as a variable resistor switched into the circuit parallel to the 1M resistor that's between the tone stack and the FX send buffer?
ampbldr2

Post by ampbldr2 »

Nice Amp for sure. Really enjoyed listening to the clips. Thanks for sharing! You are not helping my gas situation. :D
eddie25

Post by eddie25 »

Are you guys using grid stoppers on v1? I put this preamp in a 50 watt amp I had that wasn't very stellar. Sounds much better, but I get major radio signal. Never had that problem before.
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

I did. Shielded cable and 33K on mine, I think.
pgambon

Post by pgambon »

I'm bumping this to keep it alive. I looking to mod my 50 wt Marshall clone to take advantage of that extra half of the 12ax7. So basically turn it into a JCM 800'y type of amp. In looking at the SD60 circuit, it looks quite similar with the inclusion of the dual 500k pot and a whole bunch of voicing tweeks. So, let me throw this out there, should I try to meld in these Sd60 concepts or start over and clone the pre96 schematic, or go "naked". Thoughts?
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

All of the above! they're all Marshally, and in the same ballpark. The early Naylors are darker, and the presence circuit contributes to the different sound, as well, I think. IIRC the Naked is just a simplified version. You could totally do any of them in your current 50W. My SD60 started as an express, then a plexi, then Naylor. I just used the 1 input and put the added stage upfront on a switch where the bright switch once was. Lotsa ways to do it. If you use the Naylor presence build that circuit on the pot, or as close to it as you can!
soberskipper

Post by soberskipper »

Awesome playing and awesome build
pgambon

Post by pgambon »

Yes, I found that clip inspirational! I think my general approach will be to get the first two gain stages and dual gain pot working. After that I will see if additional SD60 tweeks are in order. Got to love that singing distortion!
Zombie_stomp

Post by Zombie_stomp »

Nice job dude! I love the sound you have going there. I'll have to check out this thread for some gut shots of the wiring. Wish me luck with my build.
erigm

Post by erigm »

I built the SD60 into my Laney 50watt chassis for a while. I'm kinda sorry I took it out. It's probably the best it had sounded. I think better than the BE100 circuit I have in there now (although 50 watt). The Egnater seminar circuit sounded really good in there too.

Anyone have any specific info or pics on the new Naylor "Hi-Drive" circuit? I know they add a gain stage. Sounds pretty good from what I've heard on the web.
-erigm