Have you seen this: New Sozo silver mica cap

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

RockinRocket

Re: Have you seen this: New Sozo silver mica cap

Post by RockinRocket »

I honestly don't think I would be able to discern the tonal differences between 1 or 2 caps changes in a circuit.
Are minds like to hear what we've been told. So with no real technical data to back up the claims its just marketing in my book.

9.25$ a cap though I probably wont care enough and just keep an eye out for the legit 60's flat micas.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

That's actually a proven scientific fact. There have been many tests of this, one I specifically recall was a test of audiofool cables. They took some directional magically coated super amazing 1000$ or some expensive crap cables and connected them to an amp, and then setup another to the same amp with hangar wire. The audiophiles invited were blind tested and had almost exactly 50% vote for the hangar wire. Meaning it's 100% guesswork and no real actual proof. Those golden ears :D

I can't speak too much for sound as I've had hearing loss due to being in the war in Iraq, so I'm sure I miss some subtleties but I still personally thing the difference between crappy audio path components and decent quality ones are very evident, but the difference between a 2$ capacitor and a 7$ capacitor is likely to be inaudible.

But that's just me :D

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
rooster

Post by rooster »

Yes, the subject of speaker wire. I've run into a few things here. It can get subjective, I agree. Still, I think there is something to it. And I agree, it would be great if the differences could be measured in the audio spectrum to confirm a better wire vs. another. Well, if this were the case, that we could document a better sound spectrum for the expensive cable , I still wonder how many ppl would pony up for $1000 cables? I wouldn't. (However, remember this is a $9 part vs. a $1 part, not a $6 for 20' of AC Zip cable vs. 5' of $1000 audiophile cable difference.)

My test has always been ear fatigue. Everybody's ears will get fatigued over time and typically it is the high frequencies that cause it. However, if 15 mins or 1/2 hour is the typical mark, what does it mean when the 2 hour mark arrives and you are still inspired? A speaker can be like this with the particular amp and yet I'll bet most of us would recognize a vintage Vox Silver or Blue, or for that matter, a vintage G10M or a vintage Celestion G12M. Sure, some of this has to do with the SPL, but if the level was matched I'm sure one of these vs. a JBL K120 would be easily recognized. Maybe with a cap change the test would be harder for some but I still hear a an inspiring difference. I still say try one.
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
mojotom

Post by mojotom »

RockinRocket wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:55 pm I honestly don't think I would be able to discern the tonal differences between 1 or 2 caps changes in a circuit.
Are minds like to hear what we've been told. So with no real technical data to back up the claims its just marketing in my book.

9.25$ a cap though I probably wont care enough and just keep an eye out for the legit 60's flat micas.
That would depend on the amp and the cap location but I found at least two or three place in an amp where difference is quite obvious, at least tonestack and PI entrance cap.
Take a good sounding old Fender and change those caps you'll hear something for sure (and I had hard time finding proper caps for these).

Thanks for the feedback, I should have bought some on my last AES order and skip them due to pricing.

One thing I noticed while servicing recent build with average mica caps was the number I had to change, either tonestack ones or PI Fizz caps due to them leaking AC.
67plexi

Post by 67plexi »

They look like re branded CDE to me http://www.cde.com/resources/catalogs/STD-DIPPED.pdf
rooster

Post by rooster »

They do, but if you read the chart there are no 250pf versions in 1000VDC (or any voltage) or 500pf versions in 1000VDC (or any voltage).

So, is just the value proprietary or has the construction also been altered and is this also proprietary? The caps are certainly made by CDE, the look is too similar, but have they created something new for Sozo? I say they have made something new and different. Have you tried one?
Last edited by rooster on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

Post by Mark »

This thread is cool but it does remind of the time when using parallel caps to the PI was in vogue. One was the standard 0.022uF and the other was a pF value. Oddly enough you never hear about this mod (largely to Marshall's) anymore.

I'm wondering if cap choices are fads or there will be caps revered for their good tone?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
rooster

Post by rooster »

I think that this cap makes a case for good tone. Q: When was the last time you turned your amp's Treble control on '10' and were not chased out of the room? Try one.
geetarpicker

Post by geetarpicker »

I now have two 250pf, and two 500pf Sozos to try out. I’ll report back once I get the chance to solder some in. GK
Mark

Post by Mark »

Look forward to hearing your thoughts Glen.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
rooster

Post by rooster »

Cool, a man with ears. :D
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

I'm thinking they are just over speced rebranded CDE as mentioned above.

If these realy are flat enough, like the vintage counterparts, they are marketing these for Id use them in plexi builds.
Would look cool.
rooster

Post by rooster »

I got some more in, swapped a couple of typical silver mica caps for them and still remain impressed. 8)
Roe

Post by Roe »

cool - thanks for the report. These seem perfect for bright sounding amps like the TW express and some superleads
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
Mark

Post by Mark »

Isn't the brightness part of the joy with an Express?

I though the brightness made the amp sound cleaner than it really was, in an EVH kind of way.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott