Have you seen this: New Sozo silver mica cap

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rooster

Re: Have you seen this: New Sozo silver mica cap

Post by rooster »

Mark, yes. But high frequency ringing from a component doesn't have to be part of the sound spectrum.

Related story: The first time I have truly experienced the kind of top end that was 'pure uncluttered top end' (this is hard to describe) was when I played a Landgraff overdrive pedal into a SR. When you hear what a TS (the basic premise of the Landgraff OD) sounds like without cheap noisy components (both use a JRC4558) it is sincerely mind numbing. Honestly it took me two visits to the same guitar/pedal/amp setup over 3 days (day one and day 3, day 2 avoided) to actually appreciate what was happening. I didn't want to believe the hype I think. The brain/heart is a strange thing sometimes and can make it hard to accept what is actually happening. However, the clarity, this unfettered top end that exists with the Landgraff, is there and very exciting to experience. And yes, as a result, I immediately bought a Landgraff OD, there was no hesitation on my part.

Back to the Express, there will always be that hiss, but if there is anyway to put that EVH edge to the guitar note that doesn't bite in a bad way with a 'live' amp, then I am up for it. They say he went through two cases of EL34 Mullards when he recorded that first album (under-biased tubes and very close to red-plating - so the story goes, and a Variac set to 95 volts AC), but there were things in the chain that we may never know about: https://projectevh.com/2014/10/30/the-e ... amp-setup/ . And of course none of his setup describes the particular recording chain of the particular tracking date, although it has been said by some that he used an Shure 57. But, if so, then going into what pre/limiter/compressor/EQ and then mixed down going to what chain, EQ, compressor, etc.? Well, a great engineer and producer can sort a lot of sounds and make them better. Who's to say they didn't isolate that narrow clarity band of guitar tone and jack it up to bring out the guitar more?

Anyway, this Sozo cap is not intended to remove frequencies, only artifacts that subtract from the guitar tone. Again, if you have experienced this kind of thing happening - even with a pedal - then you might be open to try these things.
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I don't care what EVH says. He used a loaded head cascaded into a second head. lol

Period.

I have heard a bunch of people pretending amps sounded like it. Nope.

The bite is eq after the fact. I stood about 20' away from that early rig and it sounded awesome ya know because hey, Van Hefflen, but the only thing that sounded different from a wailing Marshall was always his fingers.. and then Diver Down and uhhh.. and then who cares..
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
rooster

Post by rooster »

Reeltarded, do you know John Kasha? He used to mod Marshall heads back in the early 90's, did things like 'the Kasha mod' and various preamp/tube interfaces. Finally I think he was/is involved with the current Magnatone amp production, friend of Phil X's, etc.

Anyway, here in Portland, I ran into a 100 Plexi that had been modded by him (added a fourth 12Ax7) that was owned by someone from the San Fernando Valley. He had the head and an original bottom on consignment at Portland Music, hard times I guess. I was there when he came into the downtown store, this would have been '93, and he was jonesing for his rig, just to hear/play it again I guess. He brought a '67 Flying V and plugged into his amp. Whatever opinions you have, I am here to tell you that that rig, that cat and that guitar was the first EVH album right in my face. I couldn't believe it, nor could anyone else in the store. We were all floored. He played for 10 mins and then left with his guitar, gave a nod to the manager, with me asking him all the way out the door what was up with his amp. He just said, 'It's got a Kasha mod.' I went back in the store, the back panel wasn't with the amp, and saw the extra tube.

Later I did track down John Kasha and we talked a bit. He made all kinds of things over the years that goosed up amps and still does. I never bought any of his products or sent him a head to be modded but I have a ton of respect for him as a result of what I heard in that store that day.

http://www.kashaamplifiers.com/
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

My cap drawer for 470pf to about 560pf including the new Sozo 500pf/1000v caps.
My 500pf cap drawer supply.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rooster

Post by rooster »

Haha, killed my collection!! I do have one of the Fender tweed domino block mica ones though. Someone gave it to me and I never tried it. I probably should....
Mark

Post by Mark »

Have you put the caps into your amp/s Glen K?

If so what are your thoughts?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Winder

Post by Winder »

My $0.02. I replaced a 470pf/500V CDM in the tone stack of my Express with a 500pf/1000V SoZo. Initial response was very positive ... went back in after a day, and I still like it. The difference is subtle and difficult to describe, but I think Rooster's description is not far off. The treble seems more pleasing, but there's still plenty of edge/bite (which is one of the things I love about the amp). Higher frequency are more "there" and present in the tone somehow, but not in a harsh way. I wish I could have changed the 500pf "bright cap" (also a 470pf/500V CDM) with one of these, but the doggone things are HUGE and it would take a bit of effort to work it with the on-off-on switch. Thinking about strapping it right to the volume pot since I never really swith off the bright setting anyway. I'll use these where I can from now on.

Could the phsyical dimensions be a factor?
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks for the feedback. Have you tried any double blind tests to see if you can pick the difference?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Winder

Post by Winder »

No. Admittedly, this is less than scientific. To a certain degree, I think this sort of thing will always be subjective. I'm now to the point of splitting hairs with this amp. I've swapped a number of components in/out but the biggest improvements have come from improved grounding and component placement in critical areas. If it's not an improvement, I pull it and in favor of the previous configuration. Right now, this is an improvement, albeit very subtle.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I tend to record all changes with the camcorder. I have a reference for comparison and I can hear it a few times to determine the worth of the change. I do this as I wish to move forward and not have to reconsider the change.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Winder

Post by Winder »

That's a good plan. I have recordings from just prior to the change. I may record again for comparison. Have to reset all the knobs and microphones, but it may provide some benefit. I'll consider pre/post recordings in the future.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott