Risson ETA-100

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Junkin8ez

Risson ETA-100

Post by Junkin8ez »

I picked up on EBAY to mess around with. This thing is frigin' HEAVY!!! Does anyone have a Schematic, info or any paperwork on it?
Under filter cap lid it says "ARGONOT"
Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: Risson ETA-100

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Sadly I'm finding nothing on the googles. Maybe you need to create the first one :D Does it look like a form of a marshall in some way? It seems like many of the posts I did find indicate a marshall style circuit?

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
xtian

Post by xtian »

Sure looks Fendery, with the fiber board, doghouse, white Mallory bypass caps, etc.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
sonicmojo

Post by sonicmojo »

Interesting amp.

Here's the link I found to Risson amps and Bob Rissi. Definitely Fender heritage.

http://www.rissonamplifiers.com
---------
Bryan
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Those EL34s are cathode biased?
Those are very large Transfomers for a 50 to 70 watt RMS amp, so I bet its heavy!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Junkin8ez

Post by Junkin8ez »

What little info I found out, it takes 2- KT88s OR 6550s
with 3- 12AX7s

I had emailed Risson Amps for some info but no response yet.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

I was guessing 34s because I see pins 1 and 8 going to ground , but with those size Trans 88s seem like a better fit!

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Ten Over

Post by Ten Over »

That amplifier clearly had four big bottles and three little bottles originally. It was almost certainly a 100W amp given the four big bottles, the transformer sizes, and the "100" in the name. There is a high probability that he used 6L6's since this is a U.S.A. amplifier modeled after Fender. There is a bias tap and and bias circuit for fixed bias.

I would strip that thing bare and use the chassis and iron to make a 100W amp of choice.
Junkin8ez

Post by Junkin8ez »

Ten Over wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:49 pm That amplifier clearly had four big bottles and three little bottles originally. It was almost certainly a 100W amp given the four big bottles, the transformer sizes, and the "100" in the name. There is a high probability that he used 6L6's since this is a U.S.A. amplifier modeled after Fender. There is a bias tap and and bias circuit for fixed bias.

I would strip that thing bare and use the chassis and iron to make a 100W amp of choice.
Ten Over thanks for the info.
Do you think someone knocked it down to a 50W head by removing the 2 other tubes & sockets ?
Bob Rizzi was the owner/builder of these amps. He did work for Fender so hence the looks.
Ten Over

Post by Ten Over »

Junkin8ez wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:25 pm Do you think someone knocked it down to a 50W head by removing the 2 other tubes & sockets ?
Absolutely. Look at the heater wires coming out of the transformer. They were originally twisted and went to the power tube that now has a plastic plug in the hole. One wire managed to make it to the second tube socket when straightened out, but the other had to go to a terminal strip with a new wire continuing on to the tube.
Ten Over

Post by Ten Over »

I did a search on the ETA-100 and I now believe it originally had 6550's in it.
Junkin8ez

Post by Junkin8ez »

Ten Over wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:32 am I did a search on the ETA-100 and I now believe it originally had 6550's in it.
I actually would not mind keeping it a 50W. I don't plan on playing any stadiums in the near future. :D
nworbetan

Post by nworbetan »

A pair of KT-88s can push 100+ watts through speakers if the B+ is high enough and the load is right.

https://drtube.com/datasheets/kt88-sed2001.pdf

Actual mileage may vary, of course. The transformers are the biggest variables as usual.
Junkin8ez

Post by Junkin8ez »

nworbetan wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:31 am A pair of KT-88s can push 100+ watts through speakers if the B+ is high enough and the load is right.

https://drtube.com/datasheets/kt88-sed2001.pdf

Actual mileage may vary, of course. The transformers are the biggest variables as usual.
Thanks!
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

If it is reworked to use 6L6 tubes and is applying more then 510 volts on the plates then your gonna need really good 6L6s in there!