These guys are the Amp Syndicate

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

tele_player

Re: These guys are the Amp Syndicate

Post by tele_player »

Raise your hand if you've ever seen or heard one of his amps... in person, not YouTube.

My hand is up, but I won't comment besides "not my cup of tea"
tjauernig

amp syndicate

Post by tjauernig »

These guys cater to the ridiculous folks with massive pocket books, and no clues. I've seen some of the best players in the world play the cheapest crap, and get the best tones. I'm not knockeng TW or Dumble, but I've seen up close and personal, Robben Ford plug right into a stock BF Super and still sound exactly like him. I've seen Mark Knopfler play a Crate, and still sound like him.

Moral of the story......these guys spend more time practicing than lusting gear.

Another case in point.............Clapton hasn't had good tone in years, but he plays custom strats ( not Fenders), and high end amps, yet he sounds like crap. But I heard him at the first Crossroads festival in a booth playing a new 335, thru a reissue Marshall, and he sounded great.
mooreamps

Post by mooreamps »

-g
Last edited by mooreamps on Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
CaseyJones

Post by CaseyJones »

mooreamps wrote:Jennys combo amp will have a prototype mixed mode PA. Much more complex circuit than the MB.
Moore is better... I mean "more" is better! :lol:

That's my ad copy Christmas gift to you, pal!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
mooreamps

Post by mooreamps »

-g
Last edited by mooreamps on Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Man oh man, this is starting to remind me of The Gear Page.......
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Voodoo_Man

Post by Voodoo_Man »

mooreamps wrote:

1. His patent uses pass transistors. My circuit does not. As usual, you make comments without knowing.

2. My stereo 36 watt amp has two separate pre-amps. The treble pre-amp runs with 12ax7. The bass pre-amp runs with 6SL7. The treble channel has the split half of a bax tone control, and the bass channel has the other half. The tone stacks are CF driven which also incorporates the preamp gain control. I do it this way because I didn't want to have a tone control to short out the tone stack when set to 10. If you are finding this concept unclear, have someone "explain" it to you.

3. Jennys combo amp will have a prototype mixed mode PA. Much more complex circuit than the MB, and obviously a much different layout than a MB with a mix of power tubes, not just a quad of 6L6's.

4. Get a life.

-g
A little off topic, but.............................
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
billv

Post by billv »

This thread also reminds me of another site, but I'll not name names. Could we stop talking about your amps, Gary, and remain OT? That would be great.

Back OT: I can't find the post, but IIRC someone said that Ultrasound could/should charge for playing their collection in-house.

I for one would pay. This is because I (obviously!) don't have the breadth of experience with the types of amps they have in stock.

I'm not really a builder, certainly not in the commercial sense. When I go to buy one, I would know what works for me as a geeetar player.
Last edited by billv on Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

Settle it down guys. Don't make me unleash MarkH on you! :D
billv

Post by billv »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :shock: :shock: :wink:
Omar

Post by Omar »

Alright guys, let's get back on topic and avoid the hostile posts.

Omar
Tone by misadventure
mhuss

Post by mhuss »

+1!!

--mark
CaseyJones

Post by CaseyJones »

billv wrote:Back OT: I can't find the post, but IIRC someone said that Ultrasound could/should charge for playing their collection in-house.

I for one would pay. This is because I (obviously!) don't have the breadth of experience with the types of amps they have in stock.
Check out their website.

http://s30931.gridserver.com/amp_browser.php

The full name of the place is Ultra Sound Amp Sales and Rental. There's a daily rental fee and a weekly rental fee listed. I for one would pay $300 to have my way with Dumble #167, it's an amp I wouldn't have access to any other way. The best part... there's no way to get an unmentionable social disease from an old amp!
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

CaseyJones wrote:
billv wrote:Back OT: I can't find the post, but IIRC someone said that Ultrasound could/should charge for playing their collection in-house.

Check out their website.

http://s30931.gridserver.com/amp_browser.php

The full name of the place is Ultra Sound Amp Sales and Rental. There's a daily rental fee and a weekly rental fee listed. I for one would pay $300 to have my way with Dumble #167, it's an amp I wouldn't have access to any other way. The best part... there's no way to get an unmentionable social disease from an old amp!
I've called and asked. What the price list doesn't tell you is that they require that you post a bond of I guess what they feel the amp is worth in case it doesn't come back in one piece. I inquired about an Express and was told the bond was about $25k at the time. :shock: Imagine you get into a car accident and the amp is totalled on the way home from picking it up!
billv

Post by billv »

How about just sitting there & playing a few at their place of business? I mean paying them for the privilege, of course.

That would give them cash flow for otherwise idle amps, and take the pressure off of everyone (i.e. no sales expectations). I'm one of those guys that would take a lot away from the experience.

Instead of a Disney vacation - drive up to NYC & find out what some of these holy grails sound like. Maybe even get a honest opinion of what amps sound better for my style (or lack thereof).