Silicone

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Phil_S

Re: Silicone

Post by Phil_S »

I'd use a couple of zip ties for that and figure out how to loop then through something attached to the chassis, like a wire clamp. Maybe something like this: http://www.alliedelec.com/search/produc ... U=70209001
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

I've been in the sounding rocket space business for close to 40 yrs now, and this business more or less swears by RTV products,, but beware - there are also acetic curing RTVs....
billyz

Post by billyz »

Zippy wrote:
billyz wrote:Hot melt glue is much better than silicone for me. Holds really well and a hot air gun will remove it.
Whatever this is/was, it's not doing the job.

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26253

[IMG:1024:576]http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah188/gearlovin/20141022_085759_zpse8258c1c.jpg[/img]

Looks like silicone to me.
Structo

Post by Structo »

How about the silicone RTV that is sensor safe?

I know regular silicone can harm O2 sensors or other sensitive components.

Permatex also makes a black RTV that can withstand temps up to 500F.

I've used the regular blue RTV before and didn't really notice any odor after it cured.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

I found this Locite RTV with operating temperature of up to 200 degrees celcius: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/silicone ... s/7877438/

All other Locite products I found were made with Acetoxy

Just wondering if this would be suitable, and if not what are builders in Europe buying as I am struggling to find the GE mentioned previously on this thread
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

It's really hard to say for sure from the datasheets, but due to some of the noted corrosion details, I think it may not be best for electronic components. The GE Silicone II has a curing compound that is non acidic/etching that won't damage compoents/leads etc. This kind may, but you may have to contact the seller and ask. You need a silicone that's non corrosive in curing.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:38 pm It's really hard to say for sure from the datasheets, but due to some of the noted corrosion details, I think it may not be best for electronic components. The GE Silicone II has a curing compound that is non acidic/etching that won't damage compoents/leads etc. This kind may, but you may have to contact the seller and ask. You need a silicone that's non corrosive in curing.

~Phil
Thanks Phil, very helpful as always!

I am considering getting those GE from the USA if I continue struggling to find the correct ones in Europe.

I will keep searching and update the thread with what I find
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

I think this GE Silicone II* Caulk is the one mentioned earlier in the thread.

http://www.caulkyourhome.com/press-rele ... one-II.php
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

That's the stuff I've been using for quite some time due to people on hoffman forums and here (I believe) recommendations to me.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

What are you going to do with this stuff? If you just want to stabilize parts by gluing them together or to the circuit board, don’t worry about it; just keep the RTV off the leads. It’s only an issue if you want to pot a whole section of the circuit like HAD did, and I don’t know why anyone would want to go there!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

martin manning wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:20 pm What are you going to do with this stuff? If you just want to stabilize parts by gluing them together or to the circuit board, don’t worry about it; just keep the RTV off the leads. It’s only an issue if you want to pot a whole section of the circuit like HAD did, and I don’t know why anyone would want to go there!
I've used it myself to stabilize and have yet to not get that sticky shit everywhere, including on leads etc. I'd rather not wager my sloppy silicone application techniques to not wipe out my components :D But that's just me. I also think it's possible that the gas off of some of the curing compounds can get on other components nearby, but that may not be the case.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

You need to work on your technique, Phil! A little dab here and there is pretty easy to control.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

I’m with Phil on this one. The requirement of the Silicone is to stabalise the components and given I spent so much on this amp already it would be silly to risk with some potential sloppy application. This will also be my first time using the sealant and I would rather have something that will withstand some “technique to be developed” applications lol
sonicmojo

Post by sonicmojo »

I find that applying a dab and then wetting my fingers to mold the dab works well. Water, or spit if you are really lazy, prevents the silicone from sticking to your fingers. Easy trick!
---------
Bryan
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

I think it's called 'neutral curing' silicone in the UK I used it to stick my glass splashbacks to the wall when we did our Kitchen. There's no 'vinegar' smell at all to it.

I use hot glue gun.... :D

MC