Silicone

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

TUBEDUDE

Re: Silicone

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Wow, looking at the data for RTV, i notice it can't be exported to most of the world. Is this full of U235, or used to hold nuclear triggers together? Off gassing of NH3 used as a chemical weapon? WTH?
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

norburybrook wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:56 am I think it's called 'neutral curing' silicone in the UK I used it to stick my glass splashbacks to the wall when we did our Kitchen. There's no 'vinegar' smell at all to it.
I use hot glue gun.... :D
Indeed "neutral cure" is the key phrase for non corrosive RTV. Some are marked "Electronics Grade," and should be safe. I'm wary of hot melt adhesive, as it will soften at the temperatures likely to be seen inside a tube amp chassis.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

norburybrook wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:56 am I think it's called 'neutral curing' silicone in the UK I used it to stick my glass splashbacks to the wall when we did our Kitchen. There's no 'vinegar' smell at all to it.

I use hot glue gun.... :D

MC
I'm guessing the :D is because you're joking? I've seen hot glue in amps and it always comes off after a small amount of time/heat. :D

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Taking a little tangent here, but maybe going a step back for my benefit, what is the actual purpose of adding the silicone between the parts? My understanding is that it reduces the movement which may cause some of the soldering to damage/break, correct!?

What is the rule of tumb for the silicone, should it only be applied to large parts like the power supply caps (like the pic attached), or would it be useful between two large orange drop capacitors (.1uF for example) which are somewhat close together?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

It's normally used to improve structural integrity, stability or damping to resist ringing or oscillation.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Bombacaototal wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:21 am Taking a little tangent here, but maybe going a step back for my benefit, what is the actual purpose of adding the silicone between the parts? My understanding is that it reduces the movement which may cause some of the soldering to damage/break, correct!?

What is the rule of tumb for the silicone, should it only be applied to large parts like the power supply caps (like the pic attached), or would it be useful between two large orange drop capacitors (.1uF for example) which are somewhat close together?
I think the general rule is based upon size, most coupling caps and resistors that are say 1 watt and lower, aren't going to vibrate enough to damage the leads.

Larger and it can't hurt to put some in. Most electrolytics have enough weight in an amp that vibrates can break over time. Some larger watt resistors, depending on location, can be damaged, I'd guess anything over 5W that isn't on top of a board have a chance as well.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

I appreciate the feedback Phil and tubedude.

The hunt for the GE in Europe continues 8)
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

For future reference I bought this ine in the end. Got it shipped from the US. The GE seems to have rebranded them to Silicone 2*+ Caulk. I hope it is the same as the previous...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.