Dumblelator PCB

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

norburybrook

Re: Dumblelator PCB

Post by norburybrook »

Erwin,

AS people are not using racks these days and pedals now are of similar if not better quality than rack gear of 20 years ago, do you think it would be possible to make a Dumbleator pedal size? to fit on a board.

Obviously the 12 AX7 is a fixed size and the transformer is a certain size, but with a good PCB design and perhaps use of different caps could it be shrunk down into a large pedal format?

or could you use one of those minuture valves and some clever voltage double/tripple/quadrupping, or a switching power supply.

M
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Marcus,

That is possible. Using Wima MKS caps, small radial electrolytics.
I have some possible pcb ideas: a small pedal size build like you suggested . Another idea: mounted on the fx loop jacks with the right dimensions(AN chassis)

However using a dlator on a pedalboard isnt a good idea(did I understand this right?) due to the high impedance/ long cable run from the amp. It will kill all high content big time.

I"ll finish this original 19" first, almost done, then I start the smaller options.
This Friday I receive the first batch of ODS(the amp) pcb. Excited!
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

erwin_ve wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:10 pm Marcus,

That is possible. Using Wima MKS caps, small radial electrolytics.
I have some possible pcb ideas: a small pedal size build like you suggested . Another idea: mounted on the fx loop jacks with the right dimensions(AN chassis)

However using a dlator on a pedalboard isnt a good idea(did I understand this right?) due to the high impedance/ long cable run from the amp. It will kill all high content big time.

I"ll finish this original 19" first, almost done, then I start the smaller options.
This Friday I receive the first batch of ODS(the amp) pcb. Excited!
great stuff :D

So the send is high impedance? ah ok that makes sense, I use buffers for my send return. I have been experimenting though and 'm about to make a new thread,

Yes, either a pedal board small form factor dumbleator or an add on loop for the standard dumble chassis would be great for a lot of folks.

M
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

And the last one for 19"; this is the one with bridge rectifier (for powertransformer standalone Reverb Unit 47609).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
didit

Post by didit »

norburybrook wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:25 pm Yes, either a pedal board small form factor dumbleator or an add on loop for the standard dumble chassis would be great for a lot of folks.
Built "in-skin" seems a better option, no? Realizing space is invariable.

Best .. Ian
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

norburybrook wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:25 pmSo the send is high impedance? ah ok that makes sense, I use buffers for my send return. I have been experimenting though and 'm about to make a new thread,

Yes, either a pedal board small form factor dumbleator or an add on loop for the standard dumble chassis would be great for a lot of folks.
The send stage is a cathode follower, therefore a low impedance source.

A pedal-sized D’lator could be done using a SMPS.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

martin manning wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:08 pm
norburybrook wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:25 pmSo the send is high impedance? ah ok that makes sense, I use buffers for my send return. I have been experimenting though and 'm about to make a new thread,

The send stage is a cathode follower, therefore a low impedance source.

A pedal-sized D’lator could be done using a SMPS.
that's what I thought Martin but I put a low impedance volume pedal on the send it kills my signal, if it goes after the FX it's OK. which is why I thought it made sense me being wrong and it was in fact a high impedance.

M
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

The FX loop in the ODS amp like #102, #124, #183 are all high impedance; so anything from the amp with long cables kills high.

After the DLator the send is buffered and low impandance, cable lenghts are much less critical.

The Recovery part from the Dlator to the Return Loop of the ODS is high impedance again. Cable lenghts are critical.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Today I had a computer PCB design day; result cold hands, a stiff body and some ideas put to action. :lol:
Here is a draft for the Dlator built in the amp using a double layer pcb. Both Jacks and Pots are mounted on the pcb.
B+ is taken right after the screens on the main PS.

It is a draft, I have to check several things before ordering some prototypes. If you see anything that doesnt look good, pls shoot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

erwin_ve wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:03 pm The FX loop in the ODS amp like #102, #124, #183 are all high impedance; so anything from the amp with long cables kills high.

After the DLator the send is buffered and low impandance, cable lenghts are much less critical.

The Recovery part from the Dlator to the Return Loop of the ODS is high impedance again. Cable lenghts are critical.
LOL, I/we are getting confused. Yes it's the Dumbleator that's the cathode follower converting to low impedance, the send form the amp is HIgh impedance hence the issues :D

@Erwin, that's looking great :D Kudos for this. It's a shame all my chassis are 3 hole!!!

M