Ry Cooder's Borderline Special

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bombacaototal

Re: Ry Cooder's Borderline Special

Post by Bombacaototal »

sluckey wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:42 pm Sounds like you're just about done. I do suggest trying a linear taper 250K pot.
Thanks Steve, the 250KB (linear pot) is what I had to start with, but unfortunately I could only hear the effect with the pot turned to 3 o'clock, or in other words almost at maximum.

I think I will add a 24K in parallel with my 100KB pot (making it 20K) and then wire as a reverse variable resistor. Then I just need to define if my resistor in series (ie minimum position) will be 4.7K or 9.1K
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Just tested, sounds great! No need for the second “minimum” resistor, just 100kb with 24k across is perfect. Has no effect on the amps tone (or very little), I was going back and forth between the trem in the circuit and off the circuit with the effect OFF via footswitch to compare.

I call this done! Many thanks Sluckey, it was a fun experiment and experience
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Give us a good sound demo. There may be others interested in putting this trem circuit in their amp.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

sluckey wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:45 pm Give us a good sound demo. There may be others interested in putting this trem circuit in their amp.
Sure, will do some tomorrow. For future reference the output of the VTL is very prone to crosstalk so a good layout is important. Also the circuit worked with the added 9K but not with the added 18k. So I think a 25Kb pot would be fine too but probably a 50K would not work.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

The INT pot is dependant on the particular injection point. That's why a bit of tweaking is necessary. BTW, are you still connecting the INT pot to the MV pot? Did you ever try connecting to the VOL pot? If so, what were the results?
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

sluckey wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:18 pm The INT pot is dependant on the particular injection point. That's why a bit of tweaking is necessary. BTW, are you still connecting the INT pot to the MV pot? Did you ever try connecting to the VOL pot? If so, what were the results?
I went back to the MV, haven’t tried the Volume pot again today to be honest but from the experiments yesterday I preferred the sound of it at MV then at the Volume.

And by the way I am using 10uF on the supply
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

What supply?
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

sluckey wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:58 pm
What supply?
For the LFO
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

There you go, nothing too fancy, just a phone recording. My favourite settings (speed at 10 o’clock and Intensity at 12 o’clock).

I let the notes ring so you can hear the effect well...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Really nice Rafael!
Thanks to you and Sluckey for your relentless efforts.

Erwin
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

I think that sounds great! And such a simple circuit too. Would you post your final schematic in case someone wants to add this tremolo to their ODS style amp? Maybe even start a brand new thread titled "Adding tremolo to an ODS" or something similar? If you do this be sure to include that nice sound clip.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

lovely trem :D well done in getting this working. I agree with Steve you should get a layout/schematic for people who want to add a trem to their amps :D

M
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Great job to Raphael and Steve! That sounds really quite good.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Sounds great! I'm lazy so I've linked the mp3 here so I can listen inline next time, and for all future listeners :)

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Thanks for the compliments everyone and thanks again Steve. Here it is the schematic of the final version!