Robben Ford & His Dumble Overdrive Special

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dbharris

Re: Robben Ford & His Dumble Overdrive Special

Post by dbharris »

Guy77 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:26 pm Here is a video of him playing the amp live back in 1988. I believe that is his dumbleator sitting on top of it.
I noticed the amp did sounded a little darker here with the dumbleator. It still sounds amazing!!

I wonder if the ageing of the components over time also changed the sound of the amp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YI71Tlo4cY

Cheers
G.
#102 was probably still a low plate classic then too. But RF always sounds good and apparently #102 does too!

-Dan
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Guy77 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:26 pm Here is a video of him playing the amp live back in 1988. I believe that is his dumbleator sitting on top of it.
I noticed the amp did sounded a little darker here with the dumbleator. It still sounds amazing!!

I wonder if the ageing of the components over time also changed the sound of the amp.

Cheers
G.
More like replacement components .

AFAIR 102 has had a cap job ;, original caps replaced with F&T electrolytics.

I maintain the assertion that those caps are not my cup of tea. They lend themselves to a scooped midrange , and bright and potentially grainy high end response within most amplifiers.

They feel great , and the harmonics will feel alive, but the pitfalls can be bothersome .

I certainly like the way 102 sounds back in the day more than it how sounds now
Charlie
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

WhopperPlate wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:17 pm

Cheers
G.

I maintain the assertion that those caps are not my cup of tea. They lend themselves to a scooped midrange , and bright and potentially grainy high end response within most amplifiers.

They feel great , and the harmonics will feel alive, but the pitfalls can be bothersome .

Hi Charlie, if I had to choose the sound I liked best I would also slightly favor that recording I posted from 1988.

G
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Cheers
G.

Ruby Gold.
CW
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ayan

Post by ayan »

Nice picture, I'd never seen it before!
G.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:17 am

Cheers
G.

Ruby Gold.
CW
Awesome gut shot!
Are there any other confirmed internal shots of #102?

Matt J.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

I see it has the pro tour option, 12 chassis mounting bolts ;^)
llemtt

Post by llemtt »

Cheers
G.

Ruby Gold.
CW
Awesome!

Rectifiers/bias board has also been updated with later version..

M.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Cheers
G.

Ruby Gold.
CW
I stand corrected on F&T, thanks CW

Weren’t the original sprague ?
Charlie