A SSS Build

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

martin manning

Re: A SSS Build

Post by martin manning »

GAStan wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 4:41 am Completed installation of bipolar power supply. Amp is now working again with better B+ and other voltages.

Question: with the decreased voltage the bipolar supply provides V7 does this limit the clean headroom? Volume? Is there a noticeable tonal difference between the original and bipolar supplies?
I wouldn’t think so, and reports from others seem to agree. I assume you are aware of the associated resistor value changes in the bias circuit and driver cathodes, and see this post about the eyelet board version in the files section where a small resistance is added to the AC input, and a bleeder resistor is added to the positive side: https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 23#p463923
timrobertson100

Post by timrobertson100 »

Congrats Glenn - they are fabulous amps, right?

In the coming months, I'll get to building a second one, using the parts bundle I bought from a TAG member here. Can you please post pics of your bipolar supply setup?
GAStan

Post by GAStan »

martin manning wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:56 am
GAStan wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 4:41 am Completed installation of bipolar power supply. Amp is now working again with better B+ and other voltages.

Question: with the decreased voltage the bipolar supply provides V7 does this limit the clean headroom? Volume? Is there a noticeable tonal difference between the original and bipolar supplies?
I wouldn’t think so, and reports from others seem to agree. I assume you are aware of the associated resistor value changes in the bias circuit and driver cathodes, and see this post about the eyelet board version in the files section where a small resistance is added to the AC input, and a bleeder resistor is added to the positive side: https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 23#p463923
I did see that post after I had the bipolar installed. The 33R was added to the bias tap but not the 330k bleeder because I haven't found a suitable place to install it. I may put one on the PI board but I am very wary of the charged caps in the meantime. The divider resistors were also changed. The resistor in series with the pot is 10k because the pot is actually 25k, originally a 10k that I transplanted a 25k element into. Lacking 75k I used a 68k (measures 69k7).
timrobertson100 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:44 pm Congrats Glenn - they are fabulous amps, right?

In the coming months, I'll get to building a second one, using the parts bundle I bought from a TAG member here. Can you please post pics of your bipolar supply setup?
Note the 33R resistor in black heat shrink on the bias tap input to the board.

If using Erwin's chassis be aware of the close proximity of the PT and end wall of the chassis, makes for a tight fit depending on where you plan to mount the board.

It's a pretty straightforward install but pay attention to Martin's comments above.

Let me know if you need more detailed pics and I'm happy to get them for you. The cabinet for this won't be delivered for another month or two so it's no trouble to click and post pics in the meantime.
20240523_092526.jpg
20240523_092508.jpg
20240523_092449.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Glenn

I solder better than I play.
GAStan

Post by GAStan »

I've been working on an oscillation. It's only in the power section, from the PI to speakers. Goes away if feedback from speaker is disconnected.

First three of the below are
Channel 1: 8 ohm dummy load;
Channel 2: PI (V6) Pin 6.
400 hz signal.
8 ohm dummy load.
Refer to Viperdoc's schematic.

Pic 1
This is how I originally had it phased, wired according to wire color of OT. Note the voltage levels, 30 volts into 8 ohms. Extreme clipping, looks like a squarewave. 44hz. Amp was buzzing, I believe this is what caused the possible damage to the original PT. I only had the feedback connected long enough to save this on my o'scope.
20240523_171259.jpg

Pic 2
Same phasing as above but Feedback from 4 ohm speaker tap disconnected. Signals out of phase. If I understand correctly this should be correct phasing for negative feedback.
20240523_171326.jpg

Pic 3
Here I have reversed wires from CF (V7) to power tubes. No feedback. Signals in phase.
20240523_161423.jpg

Pic 4
Same phasing as Pic 3. No signal in, volumes on zero. Channel 1 is 60hz noise, I am literally simply touching the probe tip to my finger just to get a 60hz trigger. Channel 2 is PI pin 7. WITH Feedback. Higher frequency varies between 100Khz and 150Khz. I added 220k gridstoppers to CF, it only decreased the frequency from 150Khz range to 100Khz range.
20240523_142800.jpg

I'm unsure which phasing is really correct, picture 2 or 3 above?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Glenn

GAStan

Post by GAStan »

Found a problem. Hopefully the problem. Circled 270k should be 270r. Voltages on V6 are much higher than on Viperdoc's schematic. Will work on this more tomorrow.
20240523_204150.jpg
Glenn

martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Hope that solves it!

The speaker output should be in phase with the PI input.

Yours will be the first with the new resistors added to the bipolar supply. I’ll be interested to hear how that works in hardware.
GAStan

Post by GAStan »

martin manning wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:54 pm Hope that solves it!

The speaker output should be in phase with the PI input.

Yours will be the first with the new resistors added to the bipolar supply. I’ll be interested to hear how that works in hardware.
It did fix the problem, thanks.

The bleeder is definitely a good idea. The +170 volt caps were still at 50vdc after sitting overnight before I added it. Next time I power it up I'll get voltages and post them.
Glenn

martin manning

Post by martin manning »

GAStan wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:35 am The bleeder is definitely a good idea. The +170 volt caps were still at 50vdc after sitting overnight before I added it.
Credit Tony D for that idea.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

GAStan wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:35 amThe bleeder is definitely a good idea.
I made a small tweak to the eyelet board .pdf on this. Increased the current limiter to 47R, and decreased the bleeder to 150k. Should have it drained in a minute or so.
GAStan

Post by GAStan »

martin manning wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:33 pm
GAStan wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:35 amThe bleeder is definitely a good idea.
I made a small tweak to the eyelet board .pdf on this. Increased the current limiter to 47R, and decreased the bleeder to 150k. Should have it drained in a minute or so.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out.
Glenn