Amp Garage and safety issues

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

drhulsey

Re: Amp Garage and safety issues

Post by drhulsey »

Structo wrote: ... Hey Doc, can you expand on that last statement?
I'm not sure why, but 60Hz AC is known to be more likely than DC current to cause cardiac standstill. Any significant voltage that crosses the heart CAN disrupt its electrical impulses without damaging heart muscle. The same thing can occur with brain electrical activity. The heart/brain is only damaged by electricity if the entry or exit point is near either one. That's why you should always do CPR on a shock victim if he/she has no pulse. Resuscitation is frequently successful.
Now the DISCLAIMER: The shock victim may still be in contact with the electrical source. Make sure the source is turned off before you touch the victim or you might become a victim, as well :shock:
Sorta like guitar amps :D
In my experience with this forum, safety has always been stressed, not just for liabilities sake, but to keep people from being injured. Unfortunately no amount of warning or disclaiming can make everybody stupid-proof :wink: I hope liability issues won't cripple our ability to exchange information :?
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
Ears

Post by Ears »

I'm glad to see this thread active. in addition to a general safety warning I was hoping for some weight to be thrown behind a recommendation that clear schematics or detailed descriptions etc be provided, if at all possible, before asking questions. In addition to safety it's a matter of common sense and ensures more reliable replies.
Andy Le Blanc

Post by Andy Le Blanc »

liability should not cripple a discussion...... that would be an interesting twist
but we should also be clear on the issue ...... you never know if someone
might find a precident to make an injury case more than marginal.....
especially now with the internet being viewed more and more as a public
domain where safety really could be used stifle anything that could risk
the effectiveness of product placement.... imagine fender actively, legally,
disscouraging use of this site and others because of safety and issues around that
of intellectual property......
its happened in the music industry..... it really is an issue if you
store and/or share information on your PC..... they could do the disney thing
and continually extend their trademark and copryright protections so that if
anything with their logo on it is used in a manner that is not
consistant with their use agreement..... it could put you into a legal mess....

ive thought that like the various files at the site there could be a safety file
and a page when you join the forum that is an agreement of use
like you see for software..... that you read and check the box
where these issues could be addressed
lazymaryamps
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

this is a hard issue I agree that it's scarey to think people are digging around in amps that haven't been discharged properly, with little to no understanding of what they are doing. But if you focus to hard on the disclaimer it will take away from some very useful sharing of knowledge and ideas that built this forum. Why not lock the sight so you have to sign in to view it's not a hastle for anyone that uses the forum to just sign in at the start then give the option to view forum or go your mail. Post a huge NOT KNOWING WHAT YOU ARE DOING WILL KILL YOU in so many words when they sign up for an account and have to agree to release all liabililty so any and all advice taken is only advice and your choice to use said advice is at your own discretion. then the forum is free of liabilty and as sad as it would be for someone to get hurt we have to understood that they are ultimately resonsible for there own choices. we can only offer so many warnings.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge