Wich 2xel84 2x12ax7 amp to build?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

cbass

Re: Wich 2xel84 2x12ax7 amp to build?

Post by cbass »

hopefully this weekend I cna get the amp going.I'm planning on building a 2x12 closed back probaly with some alnico organ speakers and somehow mount this thing in a small head.
I'm thinking in my mind that this simple little circuit should sound awesome with a rangemaster in front of it.

I just wanted to add what a pleasure it was dealing with RJ.He even through in some extra parts.And hooked me up with some 6n14p's.I will be using his store as often as I can.
jhaas

Post by jhaas »

cbass wrote:
jon wrote:a two bottle rocket, using a mosfet for the cathode follower.
Good idea I'm not sure I could fit that in the chassis I have.I think I willstart using moset CF's on every build where it applies.With the cost of tubes and the real estate they take up it just doesn't make sense to use a tube for a CF
Well, you only save half a tube, so if you don't have another use for the triode, then might as well use it for the CF, otherwise, the Mosfet CF makes sense.

I'm in the tweaking stage of a two channel amp I built that has the rocket preamp w/ mosfet CF as the clean channel, and it does sound really good.

For your son, I think my vote would be for the LiteIIB.
cbass

Post by cbass »

jhaas wrote:
Well, you only save half a tube, so if you don't have another use for the triode, then might as well use it for the CF, otherwise, the Mosfet CF makes sense.
True but it would free up a triode for experimenting with.I hardly ever build anything to an exact schematic.

I'm going with the IIb With a MV annd a parrelel/series swicth.My tranformer shows 550AC so ifgure after my 5y3 rectifier I'bb be looking at around 330VDC There will probaly be a few deviations because I am going to use parts I have on hand.

Guess I kind of new what I wanted all alongbut thanks to this discussion I now think my project after this one will be 4x6v6 rocket with a mosfet CF.My express like amp is fun but it really doesn't suit my playing style.